Proxmox Architecture Roadmap

peril

Renowned Member
Oct 6, 2009
Newark, DE USA
Hi all,

Sorry for the post here - might be an idea to have another subforum for architecture / roadmap / dev questions.

My question -

What is the plan with the upcoming LXC containers - are you in development of porting the functionality of the SOAP / REST api's into a testbed LXC environment?

(In looking at the product - not sure if it's even a 1-1 match to openvz yet.)

(And even if you aren't just yet - is the plan to still offer the similar style of offerings in the future. )

Similar would be (IMO)

-support for h/w and s/w containers (kvm / lxc / openvz )
-maintain api interfaces for hw container / sw containers
-similar non-functionals (manageability / redundancy / etc.)

--Adrian

posting here is the right place, you can also use the mailing list, just what you prefer. we monitor lxc in detail. but its still not feature complete and ready for production use in some situations, as far as I see. we plan to release openvz with a 2.6.32 kernel soon and I assume this will be a good and maintained platform for some time.

Is there any public beta of LXC-supporting version? Why not doing it the open source way: release early, release often? I'm sure many of Proxmox users are interested in LXC and would help, at least by testing the beta and reporting bugs.

While I like the Proxmox product and appreciate the fact that its open source BUT Proxmox does not seem to adopt an open environment to develop and grow Proxmox. IMO, would like to see this site and project setup so that the community can be more involved in the development process like many other open source projects. As user ebrahim mentioned previously, why not release early and often and have user be able to test and contribute as new stuff gets added. Hope someone from Proxmox team can comment on this.

While I like the Proxmox product and appreciate the fact that its open source BUT Proxmox does not seem to adopt an open environment to develop and grow Proxmox. IMO, would like to see this site and project setup so that the community can be more involved in the development process like many other open source projects.

The Proxmox guys are always helpful and great with suggestions.
It is not about whether Proxmox is open, it is about whether suggestions make sense.

Developing 2 containers (Openvz and LXC), at this stage, will defocus EVERYONE.
We already have the extra KVM virtualisation http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...3uWeCg&ved=0CCYQBSgA&q=virtualization&spell=1to handle ... imagine having yet another virtualisation option ...

As user ebrahim mentioned previously, why not release early and often and have user be able to test and contribute as new stuff gets added.

"Release early and release often" applies to things that should be developed.
It has got nothing to do with working on things that should NOT be developed (yet).

Working on immature stuff like LXC at this stage (with Openvz not even stable/available on 2.6.32) just does not make sense.
It will only dilute Proxmox's precious amount of development resources.

Hope someone from Proxmox team can comment on this.

I am not part of the Proxmox team, just a happy user airing my own point of view.
Now that's what open is about.

Is there any public beta of LXC-supporting version? Why not doing it the open source way: release early, release often?

We currently stopped working on that because of the lack of resources - we need to finish 2.0 first.

I'm sure many of Proxmox users are interested in LXC and would help, at least by testing the beta and reporting bugs.

Please join the lxc project directly - the project active and I am sure the maintainers are thankful of any help.

As user ebrahim mentioned previously, why not release early and often and have user be able to test and contribute as new stuff gets added. Hope someone from Proxmox team can comment on this.

Well, we release early and often (I can't release code that I do not have) - what do you miss exactly?

We currently stopped working on that because of the lack of resources - we need to finish 2.0 first.

• What resources do you mean? If that's developer time, release some alpha/beta/... to receive some bug reports until you've finished 2.0 and started working on the LXC-ed version.

• So you do have some alpha thing to release. ("stopped working on that")

What resources do you mean? If that's developer time

HR - we are working on other things.

But if you want to work on LXC, please do so - the project is active and alive - what exactly is your problem?

So you do have some alpha thing to release. ("stopped working on that")

Again, we have nothing to release. All useful work was contributed to the upsteam LXC project.

The Proxmox guys are always helpful and great with suggestions.
It is not about whether Proxmox is open, it is about whether suggestions make sense.
My comment was not implying that Proxmox or the site/forum is not helpful. I've always found them to be helpful. What I was saying is that the development of Proxmox can take more of a "community" feel/effort to it. For example, why not have a public code repository where others with expertise can check-in functionality and the community can test and report bugs. IMO, everything seems to be in a closed development - for a open source product it does not have to be that way. Just my thought.

IMO, everything seems to be in a closed development - for a open source product it does not have to be that way. Just my thought.

Anyone contributing something (code, docs, time, ...) can get access to our svn/bugzilla servers.

Anyone contributing something (code, docs, time, ...) can get access to our svn/bugzilla servers.

That's great... What is the url/location to the svn/bugzilla server? My thought is the answer to this question should be more apparent from the time someone enters the site. Perhaps, a tab/link to a developer section of the site would be a good idea. And, perhaps some documentation that can help other understand the proxmox architecture and defined the code standards on how to contribute would help.

That's great... What is the url/location to the svn/bugzilla server?

Please reread my posting: I wrote "Anyone contributing something" (as opposed to everyone). I will not post an URL here.

My thought is the answer to this question should be more apparent from the time someone enters the site. Perhaps, a tab/link to a developer section of the site would be a good idea.

Yes, I will do that when I have some spare time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!