Convert from VMWare to ProxMox

For the past few months I have read this section several times:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migratio..._to_Proxmox_VE

However I think some points are not clear:

1. Vmware virtualization utility creates several .vmdk files (in chunks) that is not usable which you must use the following utility vmware-vdiskmanager. I looked at several website about using this utility but still not clear on the exact command. Can some one who had success can you please explain? I know it seems like an easy step but no one has very much explained the exact step on how to convert these darn small .vmdk files into one large one.
2. Lets assume that you create one large .vmdk: In proxmox 1.5 the drop down choiice for disk format states that it supports .vmdk, is that true or you must convert to qcow2? Please explain?

Thanks in advance

I have followed the guide and created the single growable file, on a Windows 7 machine running VMWorkstation v7.1, then i have coped the resultant file to the ProxMox Machine, renmaed it to match what the virtual machine thinks the disk name should be, but then I get an error, "Error loading operating System" in the console window. I am needing to get this working as I want to implement PROXMOX in a environment instead of vSphere or ESX. And I already have the System images built in Workstation.

The command to convert was "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vdiskmanager" -r winxp.vmdk -t 0 winxp-pve.vmdk
This created a 19gb file that i then WinScp'd to the proxmox server.

Perhaps this might be in the wrong place but please forgive me if so. But I have been trying to migrate a Centos box from ESX to proxmox. I got the vmdk's over and ran the qemu-img and copied over the raw files in the VMID on the proxmox machine. It recognizes them. When I attempt to boot, it goes through the grub screen and attempts to boot as normal, however, it attempts to load /dev/sdb1 and throws a kernel panic. Any advice would be great :).

I never could get the process to work, so i had to build each of the images from scratch again in Proxmox. But then I had problems getting the VLAN setup to work so i switched away from Proxmox. Sorry i Couldn't be more help.

try the clonezilla method.

looks like you got changed device names, therefore it does not boot. just change the bootloader. to analyse boot from a rescue / live cd.

I am very new to proxmox and just joined this forum.

I obtained/downloaded a VM and it came in chunks (about 20 vmdk files).
I don't have access to a vmware server to follow the procedure mentioned to dump it to one large file.
Is there any way to convert these 20 files to one proxmox runnable VM?

ProxMox is based on extremely stable underpinnings and it itself is really just the GUI. I don't use it myself but seems like the upgrade would not be of much concern since the virtualization that it is using is extremely stable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!