MediaTomb or other upnp/dlna openvz bridging (help please)

Peter712

Oct 25, 2009
(quick background)

I have been using proxmox VE for about a year now. I had no other real experience with Linux before this.. needless to say i have learned a lot and now have 10-12 VE's setup running good, and have removed the physical windows boxes that where sucking up power in my basement.

as of this point I have been using the default networking that proxmox provides. but now i am trying to install a upnp server so that I can remove the windows box that it is currently running on.
I am unable to get a bridge to setup and work on my network as of yet and the only info about openvz and mediatomb is http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=36869& I don't know how to make heads or tails from this because proxmox uses scripts to generate /etc/network/interfaces. I just want it to dhcp pull an IP from my router. and I can set it from there

also KVM is not an option. running 2 x AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 248 so no KVM support.

any thoughts comments are welcome

Peter

I just want it to dhcp pull an IP from my router. and I can set it from there

Proxmox VE needs a static IP for the bridge, so I am quite unsure if this will work. Anyways, you can edit /etc/network/interfaces directly (the web interface generates /etc/network/interfaces.new if you modify something, and that file is copied to /etc/network/interfaces at reboot - so simply delete /etc/network/interfaces.new if it exists).

use veth and set /etc/network/interface to dhcp (inside the container):

on a debian container:

Code:
nano /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

now, start the request to get a IP from your dhcp server.
Code:
dhclient

Last edited:
tom,

Sorry to vamp an old thread. I finally found some information on the problem I've been searching the web for. I am using ubuntu-10.04-standard_10.04-4 as my template and even though I made the changes you suggest here is the error I get when running dhclient

root@Ubuntu:/etc/network# dhclient
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.3
Copyright 2004-2009 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

No broadcast interfaces found - exiting.
root@Ubuntu:/etc/network#

This is what my /etc/network/interfaces looks like

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Oh I just noticed that when I change the Bridged Ethernet Devices to veth, (eth0 selecting vmbr0 from the drop down) and hit save, it doesn't save. Any time I leave that screen and come back to it the settings are set back to disabled.

yes, the gui here is not perfect. there are 2 save buttons, you need to click the right one.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!