Custom Remote Instalation (Without Baremetal Iso)

rmoglia

Jul 28, 2009
I tink migrate and build another machine on remote ISP.
Hey guys on my new isp don´t allow baremetal iso install.
But allow specify partion schematics.

I see howto to install on existent debian 64 instalation, any way i can loose any proxmox features. Have any instruction i can pass to remote staff to make same instalation or near baremetal iso install?

I belive only diference is a partition schematics right?
If is correct anyone can pass to me standard schema i will be try make it and pass to remote people to the same.

Antecipated Regards,
Moglia, Rodrigo.

define your usage scenario.

- how many physical disks, how big? raid controller?
- how do plan to make backups?
- KVM or OpenVZ or both?
- single Proxmox VE or cluster?

there are many factors so the more info you can give the better we can help.

This new server is for my friend.

- Simple configuration, one disk no raid.
- Remote backups with rsync of content of machines.
- Both (But More Openvz Then KVM)
- Single

My intention is reproduze the baremetal instalation don´t lost any feature like snapshots need LVM no?

Regards.

again, how big is the disk?

it looks like you want to use LVM snapshots (vzdump) and you have no remote server for backups? rsync is not supported by vzdump.

You need to specify how much space you will need for that as this is important for the partitioning. the vzdump backup files need to be stored somewhere before you can rsync it to a remote location.

Yep, that makes sense - rsync would make it much cheaper to "download the machine dump" though as not much will change between each vzdump I expect.

again, how big is the disk?

it looks like you want to use LVM snapshots (vzdump) and you have no remote server for backups? rsync is not supported by vzdump.

You need to specify how much space you will need for that as this is important for the partitioning. the vzdump backup files need to be stored somewhere before you can rsync it to a remote location.

1 - 160 GB

My PVE Baremetal Instalation for example:

Code:
zulu:~# df -m
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/pve-root     37546      1715     33925   5% /
tmpfs                     1001         0      1001   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                        10         3         8  27% /dev
tmpfs                     1001         0      1001   0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/pve-data    104120     43772     60348  43% /var/lib/vz
/dev/sda1                  504        64       415  14% /boot

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!