Promox VE Installation on a RAID1

gucky

Jul 19, 2010
www.w3-creative.de
Hello,

Ich have an Userdefined KVM Server with a debian Lenny and für GUI the Open QEMU mannager. The System and the Storage are on the same HDD installed. With a userdefined Software RAID 1. I want to migrate my System to the Promox System. Can i install The Promox system on the md devices of the RAID1 or what do i have to do?

greetings

Gucky

we (the Proxmox support staff) do not support or recommend soft raid but there are a lot of people running this with success, just search the forum.

md is awesome. and on top of md, mount a lvm2... proxmox would not even know what you are actually doing in the underlaying layer :)

most hardware raid mechanism are total shit... they have annoying mechanisms for recovery, and sometimes, if they fail you lose instantly all your data. md is so advanced that is totally improbably that you may lost your data in case of md failure.

Softraid: I personally know a lot of people lost all their data because they replaced the wrong disk (raid1) and synced the failed data
as their md raid server did not have hot swap cases and red blinking LED´s for guidance.

do you have successfully configured md raid with hotswap and LED support? if one of my adaptec controllers got a failed disk, I can advice anyone without deep knowledge to replace the faulty disk with the red blinking LED.

and yes, if the hardware raid controller is dead, data could be lost in some cases, depends on the failure. for this case you should have a backup.

justs my 2 cents here.

Totally Agree. That are possible cases that ocurr with md... and worst part is that most of the times unless you use a real standard RAID controller like PERC for hotswap most of the cases data will be lost for example in the embedded mother board raid controllers...

But still there are mechanism to controll which hard-drive exactly is the one failing. Error can always be there... but it can minimize the impact in case of not hotswaps capabilities.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!