Vitualization estimate

ruben23

Jul 2, 2010
Hi Anyone can help sizing up my proxmox server for vitualization,

I wanted to setup a server capable of PXE server, JAbber, Directory Service , NAS, FTP and File server.

ALL for this are linux system, DO i need to setup this on a single server or do i need do have single server for each services..?

anyone can help and guide please... Thanks:(

Hi Anyone can help sizing up my proxmox server for vitualization,

I wanted to setup a server capable of PXE server, JAbber, Directory Service , NAS, FTP and File server.

ALL for this are linux system, DO i need to setup this on a single server or do i need do have single server for each services..?

anyone can help and guide please... Thanks:(
Hi,
do you mean a single VM, or a single proxmoxhost?
A single VM for each service has the advantage of flexibility. I don't have experience with a PXE-Server and in case of Jabber, NAS and Fileserver (how do you define the different between nas and Fileserver?) it's depends from your workload! I think under normal condition you can run all things on one Proxmox-Node. But if you take two, you can use Livemigration and so on (i will recommend two nodes). Have a look on fast IO - this is normaly the bottleneck (good raid-controller, fast SAS-Disks, raid10 is the optimum).
For good performance try to use the VMs with high IO (NAS, Fileserver) as OpenVZ-VM.

Udo

HI, yes i mean single VM, on a single promoxhost- do i really need to do hardware raid..? or can i do software raid..? but how do i divide resource properly on my promox host, like this Intel Quad Core 2.5 Ghz, 4GB DDR2, 320 GB SATA II.

HI, yes i mean single VM, on a single promoxhost- do i really need to do hardware raid..? or can i do software raid..?
Hi,
software raids are not supportet from proxmox. But some people use it - use the search function of this forum. You have less trouble with an good raid controller (with backup battery).

but how do i divide resource properly on my promox host, like this Intel Quad Core 2.5 Ghz, 4GB DDR2, 320 GB SATA II.
You can assign the amount of ram and cpus (or cores). But 4GB ram is not very much for virtualisation. If you use OpenVZ you need less ram as with kvm.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!