consistent backups without shutdown

agima

Jun 29, 2010
Germany
Hi. I'm wondering if it is possible at all to do a consistent backup of a running kvm guest without shutting it down:

If I use the snapshot mode, I'll get a snapshot of the disk which is consistent, e.g. it is in the state of the disk at the time the snapshot was done. But I loose all the system state. So when I boot up the snapshot the filesystem could be inconsistent and maybe there is some data missing that was in ram only when the snapshot has been taken (databases) -> so this is no option if someone is really concerned about the integrity of his data.

When using the suspend mode, the hypervisor pauses the machine while doing the backup. The disk is consistent, but the data isn't necessarily. It's the same case as above.

So I think the only option to do a consistent backup without stopping the machine is to save a KVM-Snapshot (with system state and disk).

Is there a way to do this? Any opinions on this?

If I use the snapshot mode, I'll get a snapshot of the disk which is consistent, e.g. it is in the state of the disk at the time the snapshot was done. But I loose all the system state. So when I boot up the snapshot the filesystem could be inconsistent and maybe there is some data missing that was in ram only when the snapshot has been taken (databases) -> so this is no option if someone is really concerned about the integrity of his data.

You neglect the fact that almost any database (and filesystem) is designed to handle such cases (transactions, journaling).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!