migration issue

kasulstyls

Jul 13, 2010
Hello,

I followed the wiki instructions to migrate our vmdk's to qcow2 format. When booting up the vm instance it hangs right after the grub line stating that its loading. I tried different formats of just the vmdk and raw with the same result. Only thing i have not tried was grabbing a different vdmk of our other servers. ( which I will do )

The original works fine on the old vmware server and it loads locally on my virtualbox.

I am kinda at a loss as this is the final test to for me to move over all the vm's. Any ideas or thoughts would be grateful. I am sure its a user error that i am doing.

Mark

I grabbed another vmdk and just combined the files to a single growable vmdk. I get the same issue as it just hangs at the " Grub loading stage 2" with no response on keyboard commands.

forgot to add my version info--

pve-manager/1.5/4728
Piggy:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.5-9 (pve-manager/1.5/4728)
running kernel: 2.6.32-2-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.5-7
pve-kernel-2.6.32-2-pve: 2.6.32-7
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
qemu-server: 1.1-14
pve-firmware: 1.0-5
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-13
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve11
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.4-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-3

ah! ok so its a user error :) out of the 5 servers in the cluster I forgot to enable the Virt options in the bios. Once i enabled it the vm instance boots perfectly.

consider this closed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!