Disk Setup

dark

Jul 13, 2010
Hi all - im just looking for some guidance or a pointer in the right direction.

I have a box with the following physical disks:

80gb
80gb
750gb
750gb

I am trying to achieve the following, but am unsure how to proceed..

1 - Install Proxmox on the first 80gb disk - managed this so far
2 - have the 80gb and one 750gb available to my VM's (KVM)
3 - Use the second 750gb disk for snapshot backups

I am unsure if i need to setup this in Debian, or if i need to edit the proxmox configuration - im coming from FreeBSD so very confused about the Linux setup.

Any hints or tips would be very welcome

Hi,
i think you know, that the disk without the right raidlevel are not save for production. Anyway...

If you install proxmox on the 80gb disk (e.g. sda), than you have a logical volume for the VMs (pve-data). So you can easy expand this storage with sdb (80GB) and sdc (750GB):
Code:
pvcreate /dev/sdb; pvcreate /dev/sdc
vgdisplay pve # look at free
vgextend pve /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
vgdisplay
lvextend /dev/pve/data -L +810G # leave min. 4GB free in vg pve for backup (snapshot)
resize2fs /dev/mapper/pve-data
The backup-disk can you use with an normal filesystem (or lvm and a big lv) which mounted to a directory (e.g. /backup) - see fstab. After that you can define the dir in the storage-gui for backups.

Udo

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The information you have provided is very useful , I spent a few hours playing about with LVM last night for the first time, its very powerful and easy to admin.

I will be going for raid1 if this machine turns into a production one, however for now, its more about me learning how to use proxmox and Linux.

Anyways, thanks so much for your time.

Dark

I will be going for raid1 if this machine turns into a production one

Hi, I tried to PM you but it seems the feature is disabled in your profile.

I just wanted to mention that while it's not mentioned on the 'Storage Model' page of the PVE Wiki, it's documented all over the forums that Proxmox performs best in a RAID10 configuration.

So if you've got the disk, go that route instead of RAID1 like you mentioned.

I hope so far you're finding this project useful as I have, and welcome to the party!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!