Use diskspace on node

cyberbootje

Nov 29, 2009
Hi

I setup a proxmox cluster and i have left over disk space on a node.
I want to use that space for backups since i am going to use the san for the vm's.

I tried to use this space but it seems it is not possible to do that?

thx

Hi

I setup a proxmox cluster and i have left over disk space on a node.
I want to use that space for backups since i am going to use the san for the vm's.

I tried to use this space but it seems it is not possible to do that?

thx
Hi,
i think you can use two ways (in short):
a. the easy
create a logical volume on volumegroup pve (left 4GB free in vg), mount them to a mountpoint, define this mountpoint for backups in the storage-config.

b. the cleaner, but more handwork
reduce volumegroup pve or backup the whole content of pve-data and pve-root and remove vg-pve; new partitionlayout which split the pve-partition in one partition for pve and one for a backup-vg; pvcreate on both partitions, create two volumesgroup (pve + backup), create lv root, data + swap on pve, restore content of pve-data + pve-root. Assign vg backup in the proxmox-gui for backups.
Attention! you should only do this with a valid backup and a little bit experience with linux and lvm.

Udo

Just to be sure:

I go to the node device and do a:
vgextend pve /dev/sdc...

Then go to the master and define a backup section?

Just to be sure:

I go to the node device and do a:
vgextend pve /dev/sdc...

Then go to the master and define a backup section?
Hi,
perhaps i missunderstand you. If you have a second harddisk (like sdc), which are free now, you can extend your vg pve, like you wrote. Or create a new volume group (pvcreate /dev/sdc1; vgcreate ...).

Udo

I wil make it clear:

1 master, has 4 disks and is connected to the san (iscsi)
2 node, has also 4 disks and is connected to the same san(iscsi)

On the node i have 3 disks i want to use for temp backup snapshot dumps. Now if the node is not in a cluster i can make it trough the proxmox control panel:
Storage, directory, backup disk. This doesn't work if it is in the cluster because it says i don't have permission to write.
Now i can't do this on the master either because it will make te directory on the master server...

On the node i have 3 disks i want to use for temp backup snapshot dumps. Now if the node is not in a cluster i can make it trough the proxmox control panel:
Storage, directory, backup disk. This doesn't work if it is in the cluster because it says i don't have permission to write.
Now i can't do this on the master either because it will make te directory on the master server...

Yes, that is a limitation of the current model (will be fixed in 2.0). But a workaround, simply create the dir on both hosts (and only use it on node).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!