Can I create a normal logical volume on a SAN LUN on the host?

yatesco

Sep 25, 2009
Hi all,

I have a SAN which exposes a number of LUNs. Some of those are mapped by the proxmox cluster. I noticed that every VM hard disk is actually a logical volume in the volume group that represents that LUN.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't manually create a volume group in that LUN on the proxmox host?

The reason, FYI is that I don't have any local storage and need somewhere to temporarily archive all the VM backups whilst they are being rsynced offsite.

I keep thinking "well, der, sure - why not", but I just want to check that Proxmox doesn't keep a local cache of what is on that VM.

Better safe than sorry - feel free to use the words "well of course - dummy" :)

Hi all,

I have a SAN which exposes a number of LUNs. Some of those are mapped by the proxmox cluster. I noticed that every VM hard disk is actually a logical volume in the volume group that represents that LUN.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't manually create a volume group in that LUN on the proxmox host?
The whole lun is used by the volumegroup - so you can't create a second volumegroup on it. But you can add a logical-volume which you can mount to /backup, and add in the proxmox-gui this directory for backups.
The reason, FYI is that I don't have any local storage and need somewhere to temporarily archive all the VM backups whilst they are being rsynced offsite.

I keep thinking "well, der, sure - why not", but I just want to check that Proxmox doesn't keep a local cache of what is on that VM.

Better safe than sorry - feel free to use the words "well of course - dummy" :)
Why you don't use a second LUN from your Storage?
BTW: the relations for proxmox between VM and LVs are handelt with lvm-tags.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!