Containers unable to read CDROM drive?

Allen15

Jun 28, 2010
Has anyone else experienced a problem, whereby after booting from, and installing (clean) from Proxmox CD, that none of the VMs can install from, or even read from the CDROM device?

-- Error #0004, unable to read CDROM device -- or something similar, and the line prior to indicated that media was detected in the drive...

I can even boot the Proxmox server to the Windows Server CDs that it won't read in the container, so I know all of my bootable CDs aren't bad. I can't even get a container to boot off of an Ubuntu Server CD I previously installed from, prior to wiping and loading Proxmox.

Help?

Thanks

Hi,
after the first boot the boot-sequence changed to hdd.
If you want to boot from cdrom, select in Options as first boot device cdrom again; save; power down; start - then you boot from cdrom again.

Udo

Hi,
after the first boot the boot-sequence changed to hdd.
If you want to boot from cdrom, select in Options as first boot device cdrom again; save; power down; start - then you boot from cdrom again.

Udo

The problem wasn't the boot sequence, the problem was that it was refusing to read any media I put into the drive. I was concerned that I had stumbled across another bug in 1.5. This will be my 2nd Proxmox server build, and I experienced none of those symptoms when I installed the VMs on the first one.

I did reset the boot sequence, and the bios screen in VNC would tell me that the order was correct, by first checking the CDROM drive, and even reporting that there was media detected, and what size it was. Then it would attempt to read the media to presumably boot from it, and produce an error message indicating that the boot media was not readable (Error 0004), and proceed to the next device in the boot order, the hard drive, which would be blank...

I have since wiped that server and reloaded it with Windows 2003 server, just to prove that that CD was both bootable, and readable by the hardware, and the wiped and reloaded Proxmox 1.4, without any updates, and have not reproduced the symptoms -- My VMs can both see & use the CDROM device...

I have since wiped that server and reloaded it with Windows 2003 server, just to prove that that CD was both bootable, and readable by the hardware, and the wiped and reloaded Proxmox 1.4, without any updates, and have not reproduced the symptoms -- My VMs can both see & use the CDROM device...

Looks like a driver problem with kernel 2.6.18. But You can also run 2.6.24 with PVE 1.5 - see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_Kernel

Hi,
I'm new with proxmox (ehm, new with Linux too...) and experienced the same problem. I installed the client, modified the boot sequence, copied the iso files in /var/lib/vz/template/iso (but I tried with different directories too...), started the client (tried both Windows and Ubuntu), opend the VNC console and... nothing happens. Just a black console. Tried to modifiy the permissions of the iso files, removed and installed back the cleints, formatted back the disks (RAID 5 hardware controller) and reinstalled proxmox, upgraded to 2.6.32, but nothing happens...

Thanks for your help

Sandro

what desktop OS do you have?

tried with windows 2008 server enterprise, ubuntu 10.04, opensuse 11.2 but no way.
the proxmox is 1.5 with 2.6.32 kernel, installed and working fine, except the non functionally intallation of the vm.
the server is an IBM, 2 xeon 4core, 6 ethernet phisycal devicec, 16 gb ram, 1.8 tb discs raid 5.

do you need some more info?

ciao
sandro

I want to know which desktop operation system do you use to access the Proxmox VE admin interface.

sorry...

it is win xp pro.
the machine is a client of our local domain managed by a pdc linux with a ldap server.
the domain is behind a firewall, linux too.
the browser is firefox.

maybe a linux os could help? I run ubuntu in my laptop, but I didn't think to try with it.

thanks
sandro

make sure you go the latest java installed (on windows it will work without any hassle after you installed java, firefox and ie7/8).

on linux, you need to install sun-java6-plugin and remove icedtea6-plugin (if installed). use firefox on ubuntu lucid, chromium is not working (yet).

to access the admin interface you need port 443 and to get VNC console, you need to open ports from 5900 to 5999.

Hi Tom,
it works fine in Ubuntu. Not yet in win...
Linux ueber alles!!!

Thanks a lot
Sandro

on winxp, go to http://java.com and install the latest java. and to eliminate network issues, disable firewall (xp firewall).

Hi,
I'm new with proxmox (ehm, new with Linux too...) and experienced the same problem. I installed the client, modified the boot sequence, copied the iso files in /var/lib/vz/template/iso (but I tried with different directories too...), started the client (tried both Windows and Ubuntu), opend the VNC console and... nothing happens. Just a black console. Tried to modifiy the permissions of the iso files, removed and installed back the cleints, formatted back the disks (RAID 5 hardware controller) and reinstalled proxmox, upgraded to 2.6.32, but nothing happens...

Thanks for your help

Sandro

This doesn't really sound like the same symptoms -- I could clearly read the BIOS screen in VNC, and it told me it couldn't read the boot media, whereas you aren't getting anything but a black screen in VNC, so your problem may be with either your browser not being compatible with VNC, (got Java?), or your Proxmox server is not working properly.

I am able to get to the VNC console with IE6 on WinXP Pro w/JRE 1.6.20 installed, and also with Firefox and Seamonkey too, so I know it can work, although if you can't get it to work by adjusting your client browser/plugin, try logging into either the console of the server, or ssh into it, and manually do updates/distr. upgrades, & choose a different kernel, like 2.6.24?

I don't know if I am still having the same problem, as even though I have now upgraded to 1.5, I converted all of my CDs into iso's and uploaded them, so I don't know if the hardware is unreadable by the client now. When I browse "My Computer" in Windows Small Business Server 2003, it can read the disk in the drive currently, although I haven't yet tried to change disks, and the original load was done from the hardware, but with Proxmox 1.4...

Don't give up?

Hi
now everything works fine in win too. I just had to clean all the old java installation, clean the registry and install nack the last java version.
Simple, after your input!

Thanks again
Sandro

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!