HELP: Accidently deleted LVM volume on iSCSI target.

nasenmann72

Renowned Member
Dec 9, 2008
Germany, Saarland
Hi,

I just accidentally deleted/removed an two LVM volumes on an iSCSI target (which resides on SAN, Openfiler). In the web gui in "Storage" the LVM volumes are gone, but they are yet displayed in console when doing lvdisplay. If I try to create the LVM volume in web gui again, then I get the error

Fehler: device '/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-14f504e46494c45005a6e4d7755732d746c50442d44573161' is already used by volume group 'pve_srv_fs2_system'

How do I get the volumes up running again, or at least clone the disks to images, because I cannot afford loosing the data on them?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Der Nasenmann

Here is some additional information what happened exactly.

Our System consists of two PVE nodes and one Openfiler storage server. I am running a W2k3 file server as a vm which has two partitions system and data. Those partitions consist of two LVs on openfiler which are mapped to one iSCSI target on openfiler. Unfortunatly those to LVs lie on different RAID array on OF, so I wanted to put the system LV on the same RAID array as the data LV. So this is what I did:

Proxmox:
- Shutdown of the W2k3 file server.

Openfiler:
- Created a new LV which should get the new system disk for the W2K file server.
- Mapped this new LV to the iSCSI target to which the other two LVs were already connected.

Proxmox:
- In the storage section of the web gui the new iSCSI LUN was not recognized.
- Removed the two LVs on Proxmox, removed the iSCSI target.
- Reconnected the iSCSI target again
- Tried to reconnect/create the two LVs again, but then I get the error message mentioned in my previous post.

Hi,

I just accidentally deleted/removed an two LVM volumes on an iSCSI target (which resides on SAN, Openfiler). In the web gui in "Storage" the LVM volumes are gone, but they are yet displayed in console when doing lvdisplay. If I try to create the LVM volume in web gui again, then I get the error

Fehler: device '/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-14f504e46494c45005a6e4d7755732d746c50442d44573161' is already used by volume group 'pve_srv_fs2_system'

How do I get the volumes up running again, or at least clone the disks to images, because I cannot afford loosing the data on them?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Der Nasenmann
Hi,
you wrote, that you see the volumegroup from the console. Perhaps you see also the logical-volumes from the volumegroup?
look with lvdisplay.
If the volumes there, you can copy the content with dd. e.g.
Code:
dd if=/dev/volumegroup/vm-103-disk-1 of=/var/lib/vz/vm-103-disk-1.raw bs=1024k
Perhaps the volumegroup is only deactivate? Than you can try a "vgchange -a y /dev/volumegroup".

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!