Cluster with different CPU Type

BitRausch

Renowned Member
Mar 16, 2009
Muenster
Hi @all,

This is just a question:

Currently I am running a PVE Server on an Intel CPU. I am looking into adding a second server and create a cluster. Due too budget limitations I am looking into getting an AMD based system. Would I need to activate Windows VM's every time I move them between this two platforms? Or do I need to stay with Intel?

Can anyone recommend me an entry level 1P server board where I can have up to 24GB Ram? Should have at least 1 PCI-E 8x Slot for a Raid Controller.
(AMD)

Kind regards

I don't *think* you will need to re-activate Windows because the virtualised platform you install Windows into will stay the same.

And yes, AFAIK you can have different architectures in the same cluster.

I recommend to use identical hardware in a cluster, identical CPU´s. in order to eliminate any issues from any incompatibility.

take a look on the INTEL S3420 Intel Entry Level Server board series. (we do not have these newest boards in our test lab but the predecessor (DDR2), just working without issue) - I would choose this board, and I would include the optional remote management card to eliminate walking to the server room.

Edit: of course only usable for Intel CPU´s

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!