QEMU updates

osobh

Sep 6, 2009
Champaign,IL
www.cazoodle.com
Hello All,

I have been trying to get some OSX vm's running on Proxmox. I've been able to bring up the whole VM and OSX is working perfectly. The only issue that i have left is the Mouse support. I noticed that today QEMU released
version 0.11.0

Wondered if Proxmox could upgrade the QEMU release to this one?

Hello All,

I have been trying to get some OSX vm's running on Proxmox. I've been able to bring up the whole VM and OSX is working perfectly. The only issue that i have left is the Mouse support. I noticed that today QEMU released
version 0.11.0

Wondered if Proxmox could upgrade the QEMU release to this one?

0.11 is already in 1.4 beta2. but the mouse just needs to be configured the right way inside the guest. what os do you run exactly?

Only the following work for me:

iPC OSX86 10.5.6 ISO

and

iDeneb 1.6 lite

Now there are a couple of tricks that i found out. when booting iPC in a VM to start the install you have to set your HDD to qcow2 and IDE. Make sure CPU is set to 1. Then start the VM.

Trick1:
Once you get the OK inside proxmox webinterface that says the VM has started, you open up the VNC connection and first thing that you will see is a bootplist not found error on screen. With the VNC window still open, reset the VM and go back to the window and you will see that it booted and has an option press any key to start (press immediately). Voila, it boots and also will recognize your HDD.

Trick2:
Once you have formatted your HDD and ready to install, and on the last screen, you have to customize your hardware so that OSX can recognize and assign proper drivers (click on customize at end of install). So for KVM/QEMU you would select the LegacyAPAPIIX under chipset selection, PS/2 Keyboard driver, Linksys8139 or e1000 network driver, and USB patches.

Then the system will start to install. When done you will see another screenful of garbage and errors when it tries to autoboot after completing the install. Just reset the VM and at the boot screen this time press f8. enter in the two commands:

-v -f

this will boot the first time verbose and also skip the boot configuration that was setup.

This will take you into your new OSX home (remember this is 10.5.6 and not snow leopard).

Only problem that i have is that the Mouse is not moving and stuck. I've tried all combos of USB patching and what not but no resolve.

If i was able to navigate with the keyboard I could setup remote desktop and not worry about mouse issues.

Seems to be the emulated mouse is not being picked up by OSX.

Where in proxmox would i be able to test out different emulated mice? what direc, and file?

Where in proxmox would i be able to test out different emulated mice? what direc, and file?

There are no mouse specifi flags in KVM. I guess you just need a driver for the usb tablet device we emulate.

So when i click on "open vnc console" it's in this screen that i'm accessing the VM and viewing it. It's this mouse that i'm having the issue with, so would that be the VNC emulation? or do you think that it's some with QEMU/KVM?

thanks for all the help

So when i click on "open vnc console" it's in this screen that i'm accessing the VM and viewing it. It's this mouse that i'm having the issue with, so would that be the VNC emulation? or do you think that it's some with QEMU/KVM?

We emulate an usb tablet device inside the VM. You should have a driver for that inside OSX.

I get the mouse working by doing the following in the qm monitor:

info usb

then delete de device ID of the tablet, i.e.:
usb_del 0.2

and manually add the usb mouse:
usb_add mouse

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!