NFS SERVER problems

Petrus4

Feb 18, 2009
NFS SERVER problems: openVZ container

I am running FOG (Free open Source Ghost) as a ubuntu 8.04-1 container and here is my output when I restart the nfs-kernel-server:

adnim1@FOG:/images/dev$ sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
* Stopping NFS kernel daemon [ OK ]
* Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon... [ OK ]
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24-7-pve/modules.dep: No such file or directory
* Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon... exportfs: /etc/exports [1]: Neither 'subtree_check' or 'no_subtree_check' specified for export "*:/images".
Assuming default behaviour ('no_subtree_check').
NOTE: this default has changed since nfs-utils version 1.0.x

exportfs: /etc/exports [2]: Neither 'subtree_check' or 'no_subtree_check' specified for export "*:/images/dev".
Assuming default behaviour ('no_subtree_check').
NOTE: this default has changed since nfs-utils version 1.0.x

[ OK ]
* Starting NFS kernel daemon
Can one run an NFS server on an openVZ container at all? It needs to be able to throughput disk images.

Can someone help me get the NFS server to work on an OpenVZ container?

Last edited:
I used FOG in a VS as well. I switched to unfs. I had trouble with the nfs-user package, but I do not remember what the issue was anymore. I also found that FOG works better if you use the bridged ethernet instead of the virtual network. I could not get mulitcasting or wol to work under the virtual network, but then again when I started FOG was still on version 0.19. It could have just been an issue with FOG.

Please use nfs-user-server instead of nfs-kernel-server.

I used FOG in a VS as well. I switched to unfs. I had trouble with the nfs-user package, but I do not remember what the issue was anymore. I also found that FOG works better if you use the bridged ethernet instead of the virtual network. I could not get mulitcasting or wol to work under the virtual network, but then again when I started FOG was still on version 0.19. It could have just been an issue with FOG.

Ok I found the solution. Thanks everyone for putting me on the right track.

I installed the debian/ubuntu package unfs3

Code:
sudo aptitude install unfs3

it automatically removed the nfs-kernel-server

at this point all the services were running but no shares were mounted. I got a "permissionj denied" error on the client when trying to upload an image. I found out the unfs3 does not like a * in the /etc/exports file so I replaced the * with my internal network x.x.x.x/24 restarted unfs3

Code:
/etc/init.d/unfs3 restart

and boom the shares were now mounted.

So far I have uploaded a multi partition image at around 550MB per min. and downloaded an image at about 2.5 GB per minute. I have not tried multicasting yet. I have run some to tests WOL but this did not work.

Does anyone know why multicasting or WOL might not work on an OpenVZ installation?

Are you using a virtual network - venet - (this is the default)? I did not have any luck with multicast or wol using venet. However, once I switched the network type over to a bridge ethernet (veth) both multicasting and wol worked just fine. Do forget once you switch to a bridge, you will have to configure the interface from inside the VE.

Are you using a virtual network - venet - (this is the default)? I did not have any luck with multicast or wol using venet. However, once I switched the network type over to a bridge ethernet (veth) both multicasting and wol worked just fine. Do forget once you switch to a bridge, you will have to configure the interface from inside the VE.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been reading about this.

I am using venet
I still have not tried multicasting, I have tried WOL and this is not working.

If I change to network type to veth will this affect my other containers?

How would I change the network interface to veth I do not see that option in the web gui would I have to configure via command line in the on the host?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been reading about this.

I am using venet
I still have not tried multicasting, I have tried WOL and this is not working.

If I change to network type to veth will this affect my other containers?

How would I change the network interface to veth I do not see that option in the web gui would I have to configure via command line in the on the host?

Oops forgot to search the forum.. I already found the answer:

http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573

Why does veneth not work with multicasting or WOL?:confused:

I never got around to figuring out why. At the time I did not real need either of them. It think it has something to do with venet not having a MAC address, though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!