Proxmox install with Adaptec 72405 raid card, need drivers

base64

Feb 10, 2013
Hi I am trying to install proxmox on a raid 6 array, on an Adaptec 72405 card, but the installer is not seeing the array and says "No hard disks found".
It looks like it needs the drivers for the raid card, but I do not know how to provide the drivers to the installer?

Here is the driver downloads page: http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/raid/sas_raid/sas-72405/

Many thanks in advance,
Andy

(in a few weeks) ? :p

How many :p

I'm very excited to see what's done in the new stable 2.3 :)

Regards

That is great news that the driver will be included in 2.3.
However I am a newbie with compiling, so do you know of any good tutorials or are you able to tell me how to get the latest 2.3 as ISO?

Many thanks,
Andy

Hello Tom,

My name is Luis and I'm with Adaptec Technical Support.
Do you know what version of the driver is included in the latest kernel from Proxmox?
Although we do not officially support Proxmox, we do provide source code that can be used to compile a driver for an unsupported Linux version.

In this case for the 72405 controller we suggest version 1.2.1-29900
Here is a link to the RPM file: http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/raid/aac/linux/aacraid-linux-src-1_2_1-29900_tgz.htm
Here is a link to the DKMS file: http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/raid/aac/linux/aacraid-dkms-1_2_1-29900_tgz.htm

Thanks,

Luis

Hi there,

I'm having the same issues with Adaptec 7805, maybe someone is able to create a patched iso with the newest aacraid drivers.

Thanks!

we have the following in our latest kernel (pve-kernel-2.6.32-18-pve: 2.6.32-88):

Code:
modinfo aacraid

filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.32-18-pve/kernel/drivers/scsi/aacraid/aacraid.ko
version:        1.2-1[29900]custom
license:        GPL
description:    Dell PERC2, 2/Si, 3/Si, 3/Di, Adaptec Advanced Raid Products, HP NetRAID-4M, IBM ServeRAID & ICP SCSI driver
author:         Red Hat Inc and Adaptec
srcversion:     DED40C1728F1BA42D06C864

Hi there,

I'm having the same issues with Adaptec 7805, maybe someone is able to create a patched iso with the newest aacraid drivers.

Thanks!

Yes a patched ISO is what I would be looking for, as I dont know how to compile the latest source into an ISO.
I cant get my system installed without the latest aacriad drivers, so an ISO so that I can test and verify my build would be nice, otherwise it could be a long few weeks waiting for the 2.3 ISO to be released.

Tom is it possible to get a test ISO build with the latest kernel (pve-kernel-2.6.32-18-pve: 2.6.32-88) ?
Thanks

hey,

i fixed the problem with invalid module format and now it works with kernel pve-kernel-2.6.32-16-pve_2.6.32-80_amd64, which is on Proxmox 2.2 iso. First a tried to install proxmox in debug mod there i loaded the module and there i saw the Raid array of Adaptec controller but i cant install it at the basic install. After that i tried to copy the file to the iso of proxmox (\lib\modules\2.6.32-16-pve\kernel\drivers\scsi\aacraid) with winiso (on windows) then i tried with genisoimage (on linux) but when i boot from the iso it says it can't find cdrom and i can only restart.

Can someone help me with that or can create a image with my compiled aacraid.ko?

here the link to the compiled aacraid.ko

Mifau, do you have your Proxmox installation on the Adaptec 7805 card, or are you using your motherboards controller for the Proxmox install?

First i installed it on onboard controller for testing the drivers and its working (also when i try to install proxmox with debug mode and laod the drivers i see cotroller but when its at the basic install it fails) and now i try to put it to the iso image but proxmox installation wont work if i edit the iso image.

i'am trying now other solution to install on onbaord controller and then i clone the disk which is on onbaord controller to the Array disks on the Adaptec controller with ddrescue. I give you update if this is working.

Last edited:
How are you putting the drivers into the iso image?
I like the cloning idea, it should hopefully work. I may give that ago later in the week. Let me know how it goes please.

i tried with WinISO for Windows but with that wont work. I dont know how.

I tested with the cloning it and it works great but it need very long time because every bit will copied.

Here the instruction for the cloning solution:

1) You Install Proxmox 2.2 on a hard drive which is on the onboard controller. The Hard drive should be smaller than the Raid Array or same size. My Raid ARRAY was a little bit smaller (600MB) it works too.
After Install you type in the Proxmox console:
2)apt-get update
3)apt-get dist-upgrade (updates to the newest proxmox kernel)
4)restart
5)apt-get install rpm dkms
6)apt-get install pve-headers-2.6.32-17-pve
7)Download raid Driver aacraid-dkms-1.2.1-29900.tgz to tmp folder
8)unpack the file: tar xvzf aacraid-dkms-1.2.1-29900.tgz
9)got in the folder aacraid-dkms-1.2.1-29900 and in source there are two rpm files
10)type this in console: rpm2cpio aacraid-1.2.1.29900-dkms.noarch.rpm | (cd / ; cpio -idmu )
11)type this in console: dkms add -m aacraid -v 1.2.1.29900
12)and this: dkms build -m aacraid -v 1.2.1.29900
13)and this: dkms install -m aacraid -v 1.2.1.29900
14)restart
Now the driver are installed and you can see the Raid array with fdisk -l.

15)If there are partitions pls delete all. Attention all file will delete.
you delete it with fdisk /dev/andyouRaidARRAY.
then type 1 to select first parition and then d. This with all Partitions.
Create clear Table: cfdisk -z /dev/youRaidARRAY press Shift +W and then yes and close it with Q
16)Install ddrescue with apt-get install gddrescue
17)Then clone the disk with command: ddrescue -v /dev/onboardcontrollerDrive /dev/RaidARRAY (you have to be really sure to copy to the right disk because all data will delete at the target drive)
This need very long time. And when its finish you can boot from the Adaptec Raid controller.
If the Raid array is bigger than the onboardcontrollerDrive you have to change the partition size because ddrescue make a exact copy of the drive and the partition have the same size.

I hope this will help you. ;)

Last edited:
Mifau thank you for the update on how the clone went. I will try your instructions.
It will be later this week before I get a chance, as I am very busy.
Thanks for the help and I will get back to you with my results later this week.
Thanks ;)

i tried with WinISO for Windows but with that wont work. I dont know how.

I tested with the cloning it and it works great but it need very long time because every bit will copied.

Here the instruction for the cloning solution:

1) You Install Proxmox 2.2 on a hard drive which is on the onboard controller. The Hard drive should be smaller than the Raid Array or same size. My Raid ARRAY was a little bit smaller (600MB) it works too.

instead of building now the drivers manually, why don´t you just update to latest pvetest kernel? pvetest repo includes the driver already.

I didn't know there is a test kernel for download but do i have not the same result with the test kernel? (then i also have only a test kernel installed)

see the second post in this thread, tells you details about this.

Mifau I did an install on a harddrive connected to the motherboard and then installed proxmox 2.2.
I then upgrade to the latest pvetest kernel as Tom suggested and it worked and I can now see the raid card.
You just have to add the pvetest repository in /etc/apt/sources.list (http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/96...or-Proxmox-VE-2-1-(pvetest)?p=54456#post54456)

I now just need to clone the disk with the install over to the raid array and hopefully it will still work ;) (Although I need to shrink the partition first as I only had a 2TB disk spare, if you know of any good tutorials on how to do this, would be very helpful).

I am happy enough to use the pvetest build for now, as I will just be testing the system and hopefully 2.3 stable will be out soon, which I will then reinstall to.

I would like to thank you Mifau and Tom for your kind help on this issue ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!