Can't Login To Proxmox via CLI/Console

S

SysFailure0x5a

I've searched quite a bit but cannot figure out how to get this to work. I've installed proxmox 2.2 FRESH on a server. I can log in via the web UI but I cannot log in via console.

Code:
MyDomain.com login: root
Password: *************

Login incorrect
MyDomain.com login: _

Any ideas??? I even did a fresh reinstall, still does not work. :confused:

No one has had this issue? I can't find anything about it in the wiki or google.

tell in detail where do you want to login. to host, to a container or to a VM?

in any case, use the right password.

Hi,

You can check at the webgui login page if it's the good 'Realm'

The choice is between "Proxmox VE authentication server" and "Linux PAM standard authentication". In most of case it could be "Linux PAM standard authentication" with the same login / password of your proxmox shell defined during your proxmox installation.

I hope it could help you.
Regards

I've installed proxmox 2.2 FRESH on a server. I can log in via the web UI but I cannot log in via console.

What I'm saying is, I cannot log into proxmox 2.2 via the cli. With a keyboard and monitor attached directly to the server I cannot log in.

Code:

Login incorrect

I've reinstalled the server twice now, I cannot log into the CLI but I can log into the web ui, this tells me that I am using the correct password.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi sir,

It seems you fail :)

Here is the SSH connection to my Proxmox server

Using username "jerome".
Access denied
jerome@ovh's password:
Linux ovh 2.6.32-17-pve #1 SMP Wed Nov 28 07:15:55 CET 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

server : ovh
ip :
hostname : ovh

Last login: Mon Feb 11 09:06:15 2013 from XXX-XX.252-81.static-ip.oleane.fr
jerome@ovh:~$

Your root password on the console/by SSH is the same than your login in the webgui, which you have enter during the installation of Proxmox.

Have you got a azerty/qwerty fail ?

It's really anormal :)

Regards

What I'm saying is, I cannot log into proxmox 2.2 via the cli. With a keyboard and monitor attached directly to the server I cannot log in.

Code:

Login incorrect

I've reinstalled the server twice now, I cannot log into the CLI but I can log into the web ui, this tells me that I am using the correct password.
Hi,
any special characters in the pw, which are not at the layout?

You can open an shell from the gui (select node -> shell). How looks /etc/hosts ?

Any hints in /var/log/auth.log ?

Udo

Typically, on install the root password for CLI and for the user are the same.

Here are some suggestions.

Create a password but remove the use of leading characters such as !@#$ and make it simple password. Just number and letters.

Test consol login via direct console and via SSH and webgui. I have seen keyboard controller and odd ball keyboard issues such as not actually doing the key stroke pressed over the years. Saw it a clients this morning.

Now ssh in to the box and add another user account. SSH to that use account, SU to root, Log in. Now change the password to root account to a more complex one. Keeping the existing ssh session live to root, create another ssh session and ssh to the root account and try to log in. If it works you are golden. If not look at the password and make sure that the keyboard is actually taking all of the keys presses. After that, you can turn off direct root access via ssh and use the new account with key to have a nice secure login.

Typically, on install the root password for CLI and for the user are the same..... Create a password but remove the use of leading characters such as !@#$ and make it simple password. Just number and letters....

For everyone who responded, I was using the same exact information in the web ui as I was at the console. I was not typing it incorrectly either. I just changed my secure password, which included several numeric characters, a capital, and special character which was a "!" at the end. I changed it to a password with no special character and the console now works perfect fine.

Very odd.

Thanks for the help, I hope this gets fixed at some point.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!