Proxmox 2.x hung on server Hetzner EX 4S

Puma

Aug 9, 2012
I installed on server debian 6 and after install proxmox from repo.
Before i install 2.1 , now its updated to 2.2
Server use software linux raid1
http://www.hetzner.de/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex4s
time to time server hung
nothing in logs
monitor show black screen and not have reaction on keyboard
help only hardware reboot
isp test all hardware
also i buy second new server for test it and have same hung
it may hang once a week or a month
What could it be?

Hey,

please boot the system in rescue mode and start a hardware check (ask the support how to do it if you need help).
It sounds like defect RAM or Board for me.

I have 3 proxmox servers on hetzner ex4 without any issues so it cannot be a general software issue.

Support did hardware check 2 times before.
And full check memory.
Very strange problem.

Today I found some another users with hetzner ex4 servers + proxmox 2.2 with same hung problem.
JohnD
Can you give information about motherboard on your ex4 servers ?

Same problem here with Hetzner EX4 server and at least from proxmox > 2.1 (I didn't try an earlier version), the server completly hangs once or twice per week, with nothing in the logs, no error messages in any log file in the host or in the VMs and only can be restarted by an "automatic hardware reset", can't be accesed by ssh or any port and the "ctrl+alt+del" reset option from the hetzner panel doesn't work, I though that was a problem with openvz containers but didn't. I had proxmox without raid and all the VMs were openvz containers so I formatted the machine, changed to software raid, reinstalled proxmox and created all kvm machines instead openvz, then the server has had an uptime of one month, but yesterday the server again hung... I restarted the server and 2 hours after again hung... Maybe a hard disk problem? I've found some inode fixing messages in the boot, but I think are due to the hardware reset.

I'm going to do a full hardware test bust needs a downtime of 10-14 hours.... I'm afraid if puma did 2 full hardware tests and they didn't found nothing.

Puma, did you find something more? I have the server from september 2012

I found many people with same problem, we try update all software, update bios, many full hardware check, but not solve this problem.
Now I moved all proxmox to ovh.com
In ovh its work without hung.

just to say Im operating 2 proxmox servers from hetzner and havent had them hang up ever.

I also have old model ex4 servers in Hetzner and not have problem. All new ex4 and ex4s servers have this problem.
Ex6 have problem with driver for network card.
Another configs maybe no have that problem.

I also have old model ex4 servers in Hetzner and not have problem. All new ex4 and ex4s servers have this problem.
Ex6 have problem with driver for network card.
Another configs maybe no have that problem.

What datacenter are the "new" ones on and what datacenters are the "old" ones on?

Because i got my two servers very recently, they are both ex4s models.

And i got no issues.

Its not related with datacenter, old version ex4 have another motherboard, cpu and memory.

- - - Updated - - -

ex4 always have latest proxmox, 2.0->2.1-2.2 updated
on ex6 fine work 2.0 but version 2.1 and 2.2 have problem in driver for network card.

Has anyone found the underlying cause? I have a ex4s and am having the same issues, really want to get things stable.

Well, Like I said I had a hetzner EX4 server with the "hung" problem, I had the last proxmox installation 2.3 (and tried from >2.1) and nothing solved it, even formatting, disabling and enabling software RAID LVM...

I've migrated from EX4(49€) to EX6(69€) and the server has an uptime of 3 weeks... I will write you if a find any problem. By the way, no problem with EX6 network card and proxmox 2.3

Well, Like I said I had a hetzner EX4 server with the "hung" problem, I had the last proxmox installation 2.3 (and tried from >2.1) and nothing solved it, even formatting, disabling and enabling software RAID LVM...

I've migrated from EX4(49€) to EX6(69€) and the server has an uptime of 3 weeks... I will write you if a find any problem. By the way, no problem with EX6 network card and proxmox 2.3

This last time I went a full 3 weeks without needing a manual reset. Unfortunately the server no longer responds to the 'automatic hardware reset' so I've had to request them manually. Now I am going to have them run full hardware diagnostics in the hopes that they find something. My hopes are not high though as I know others have done this in the past without result.

IMHO virtualization on top of a virtualized server is bound to give problems.

The EX series are dedicated servers so AFAIK these are actual hardware. Hetzner does offer a VQ series of virtual servers, but thats not what we are dealing with here luckily :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!