Proxmox Web Gui Interface : Slow / Laggy / Constantly Crashes

C

Chris Rivera

As we add nodes to the cluster we have noticed proxmox interface to slow down drastically, kill cpu resources when the cloud interface is open, and actually crash window tabs in chrome and firefox browsers. If you on an older box or a computer with minimal ram, you will quickly hate the interface, if you can get it to respond.

If we continue to increase nodes for this specific cluster we are worried that the web interface will become something we cannot use to manage the cluster. While everything can be managed by command line the web gui has specific benefits that i have not been able to find via cli. MRTG graphs, Sorting Ability to find vms by resource usage, historical reporting on usage of system & network utilization

MRTG graphs & sorting ability- when a client is running cpu / hdd / network intensive processes i do not know how to track down usage via cli. the web gui offered the graphs visually so we can see that this vm108 is using 200M write of hdd which is causing the node i/o to be at 60%.

Historical reporting - we are able to easily set mrgt graphs to week / month (average / max) and find vms that are using alot of resources, i am not sure of a way to find this easily via cli

As we add nodes to the cluster we have noticed proxmox interface to slow down drastically, kill cpu resources when the cloud interface is open, and actually crash window tabs in chrome and firefox browsers. If you on an older box or a computer with minimal ram, you will quickly hate the interface, if you can get it to respond.

If we continue to increase nodes for this specific cluster we are worried that the web interface will become something we cannot use to manage the cluster. While everything can be managed by command line the web gui has specific benefits that i have not been able to find via cli. MRTG graphs, Sorting Ability to find vms by resource usage, historical reporting on usage of system & network utilization

MRTG graphs & sorting ability- when a client is running cpu / hdd / network intensive processes i do not know how to track down usage via cli. the web gui offered the graphs visually so we can see that this vm108 is using 200M write of hdd which is causing the node i/o to be at 60%.

Historical reporting - we are able to easily set mrgt graphs to week / month (average / max) and find vms that are using alot of resources, i am not sure of a way to find this easily via cli

graphs historical values are stored in rrd files in /var/lib/rrdcached/ .
you can parse them with rrdtool utils.
live values can be get with api (#pvesh)

What we have done is pushed a simple "node" that is used to give us the content on the others - no vm's etc on it - and that has helped.
Its a simple system we grabbed from UnixSurplus - cost us almost as much to ship the server as it did for the unit itself.

Anyhow - that has seemed to help.
but I could not agree more - it does get slow unless you work around it some.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!