Proxmox 2.2. best Disk format for windows 2008

webservio

Renowned Member
May 13, 2009
Is it important which file format you use for Windows 2008 with large data? I have used qcow2 in Proxmox 1.9 for small storage Windows 2008 system and have not experience any problems however recently noticed issues with Proxmox 2.2 testing with Windows 2008. Any other technical tips would be helpful and appreciated.

Having spent the last couple of days grappling with different versions of PMVE & Windows Server (2003 & 2008), I can say that disk speed has been the biggest challenge. I think that the most important thing here isn't so much about the file format, but that you install Virtio disk drivers. At least that is what I found with 2003, and having spent the past 4 hours doing a 2008 installation it would appear although much faster on disk access, after attempting to expand a 180mb RAR archive on it, it got about 80% through and then stalled and went into "uber slow" mode. I can only assume that the disk IO is the problem here. I'm going to change out the drivers and see if there is a noticeable improvement with Virtio drivers, but I assume that there will be.

Myles

it would also be worth checking what cache mode you are using - are you using a network share or local disks?

Before you try to optimize disk speed in the guest, make sure that your storage is configured in the best possible way.

So what (physical) storage hardware do you have?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!