Install on LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i

Fogel

Feb 6, 2013
Västerås, Sweden, Sweden
I am unable to install Proxmox on my raid created on the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i (latest firmware), motherboard is an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe (latest bios).

If I just let the installer sit there (and press enter to begin the installation of course) and F2 for verbose-mode; this is what I see:
Code:
loading drivers
megasas: INIT adapter done
(about five minutes later)
INFO: task modprobe:289 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
"echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
INFO: task scsi_scan_16:294 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
"echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
(This messages repeats infinitely)

If I start the installation with the debug-tag I see the following:
Code:
megasas: 00.00.06.14-rh1 Fri. Jan. 7 17:00:00 PDT 2012
megasas: 0x1000:0x0073:0x1000:0x9240: bus 1:slot 0:func 0
megaraid_sas 0000:01:00.0: PCI: INT A -> GSI 1 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
megasas: FW now in Ready state
megasas_init_mfi: fw_support_ieee=67108864
megasas: INIT adapter done
scsi16 : LSI SAS based MegaRAID driver
(about five minutes later)
scsi 16:0:0:0: megasas: RESET -1 cmd=12 retries=0
megasas: [ 0]waiting for 1 commands to complete
megasas: [ 5]waiting for 1 commands to complete
(Counts upwards infinitely)

I had Proxmox (2.2) running on the machine before I got the raid-card with one of the disks that are in the raid, and I would love to continue using this awesome product.

Any tips to get it running for me?

i have the same issue but with a different raid card
"Intel rs2wc0800" (the card is based on LSI SAS9240-8i) which uses the same megasas driver.

Both version 3.1 and 3.2 fails, other linux distro's do the same, The thing we have in common is a Asus motherboard product, I am using Asus p8h77-m-pro

i have tried the raid card in another pc and it works. i think it could be motherboard/uefi related, but not sure.

i have the same issue but with a different raid card
"Intel rs2wc0800" (the card is based on LSI SAS9240-8i) which uses the same megasas driver.

Both version 3.1 and 3.2 fails, other linux distro's do the same, The thing we have in common is a Asus motherboard product, I am using Asus p8h77-m-pro

I have tried the raid card in another pc and it works. i think it could be motherboard/uefi related, but not sure.

I think that your problem consist in that the motherboard Asus p8h77-m-pro isn't compatible with your Raid card. For sure that my theory is correct:
1- When you boot the PC, do you see that the motherboard lifts the Raid controller before that the PVE installer (seeing only in text mode the option for configure the raid controller)?
2- Have you tested put the Raid card in the other PCIe slot of your motherboard and see it that I said in the point 1?

If with these 2 options, you don't see the option for configure the Raid controller, definitely your Asus p8h77-m-pro isn't compatible with your Raid Card (always thinking that you have the latest firmware version of you motherboard installed).

Best regards
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!