openVPN in KVM VM

Hi,

I have a problem with running openVPN server in a KVM VM?
I found some howto's for this problem but only for openvz.

http://martinlanner.com/2009/06/10/how-to-install-openvpn-access-server-on-proxmox-ve/

Is there a howto for KVM?

OpenVPN works but I can only ping the vpn server and not other server in the local lan.
I think it is a routing problem.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Oer2001

Need alot more details. Such as OS and networks setup. This would be much better off asked over on the openvpn forums.

The openVPN setup is correct. We have the same setup on a real host.
It is a proxmox problem. For openVZ VM's you have to a enable iptables in /etc/vz/vz.conf

http://martinlanner.com/2009/06/10/h...on-proxmox-ve/

but what I have to do if I want to setup a vpn server in a kvm VM.

A KVM machine is standalone. The OS doesn't know its virtualized. You are doing something incorrect in the VM. We run multiple KVM centos machines with openvpn and no issues. Something is wrong in your networking or your VM, which is not related to proxmox.

A KVM machine is standalone. The OS doesn't know its virtualized. You are doing something incorrect in the VM. We run multiple KVM centos machines with openvpn and no issues. Something is wrong in your networking or your VM, which is not related to proxmox.
Hi,
depends on the openvpn-networking.
An bridge inside openvpn (dev tap) don't work on a virtual NIC - AFAIK therefore you need an physical host (this is the reason why I have one openvpn host not virtualised).
With "dev tun0" openvpn work fine inside an kvm-VM.

Udo

Hi,
depends on the openvpn-networking.
An bridge inside openvpn (dev tap) don't work on a virtual NIC - AFAIK therefore you need an physical host (this is the reason why I have one openvpn host not virtualised).
With "dev tun0" openvpn work fine inside an kvm-VM.

Udo

Ahh ok, that makes sense. We use tun devices.

ok, thats answers my question.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Oer2001

Hi,depends on the openvpn-networking.An bridge inside openvpn (dev tap) don't work on a virtual NIC - AFAIK therefore you need an physical host (this is the reason why I have one openvpn host not virtualised).With "dev tun0" openvpn work fine inside an kvm-VM.Udo
Don't tell that to my router :) I've been running openvpn with a tap device (actually 3 of them) for few years now. Not exactly Proxmox vm but KVM vm using my own startup script.

Don't tell that to my router :) I've been running openvpn with a tap device (actually 3 of them) for few years now. Not exactly Proxmox vm but KVM vm using my own startup script.

Hi,
interesting - for me don't work the config with an bridged tap device. The connection was ok, but the client don't get an IP from the Server-Network (if I remember right).
After taking the same config to an physical pc - the openvpn-gateway run's without trouble.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!