raw files damaged a due a ram error

spoonman

Apr 11, 2011
After some strange errors inside a vm I realized that a ram module was damaged, so I stopped the system, changed the module but when I try to mount the file with

mount -o loop -t ext2 vm-400-disk-1.raw tmp/

I got

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

Do you know a software to try to recover data from raw files ?

Best regards
Fabio

After some strange errors inside a vm I realized that a ram module was damaged, so I stopped the system, changed the module but when I try to mount the file with

mount -o loop -t ext2 vm-400-disk-1.raw tmp/

I got

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

Do you know a software to try to recover data from raw files ?

Best regards
Fabio
Hi,
your vm-400-disk-1.raw is an image of an hdd - with MBR and partition table. You can use kpartx to create loop-devices for the partitions, which are mountable (if not lvm).

Udo

Thanks very interesting, I tried to retrieve the information about starting sector etc.. with parted but it gave me an error:
Error: / var/lib/vz/images/vm-400-disk-1.raw: unrecognized disk label

so I thought to see the information using fdisk from a backup that I restored, but the mount command still not work.

I also tried the testdisk utility but without success.

thanks anyway
Fabio

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!