New 2.2 install fs type ext3 or 4

garrypb

May 14, 2010
Hi, Just doing a fresh install of VE 2.2, standard install from iso, 2 x hdd raid 1 array.

Installing a 3rd hdd for backups, non lvm - single patition drive incase of a raid or lvm issue, so I can still quickly get backups locally to the machine.
I noticed a few older references relating to probs with Ext4 fs. Is this till an issue?

Should I keep the 3rd hdd to ext3 fs?

Thanks
Garry

Last edited:
Hi,
for the backup-partition or for /var/lib/vz?

For the backup-partition (I assume it's an big filesystem) I would go for ext4 because of faste fsck during boot (if you have trouble and must restart an node it's not funny to wait additional 5 minutes for an fsck).
For /var/lib/vz is ext3 better (faster).

Udo

There were some acknowledged speed issues with ext4 in older kernels for PM with KVM/Windows guests. It has something to do with the way that the VirtIO drivers work with ext3 vs. ext4. Google about this if any of this applies to you. It may have also been resolved in later PM/kernel updates, but worth a check just in case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!