KVM Networking Assistance

bpvarsity

Nov 2, 2012
Im having trouble getting the networking to work in the KVM vps's. I can get the openvz vm to work with venet but havent gotten the veth working for kvm.

The last time I tried to setup the bridge i broke the whole servers network lol.

I have a ip block of 64 ip addresses and want to use them for openvz and kvm.

Right now I reset my etc/network/interfaces config is
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address xx.2.xx.66
netmask 255.255.255.xxx
gateway xx.2.xx.65

Now this works for openvz but for kvm i know i have to create a bridge. With the vmbro in the network settings do i have to assign a ip and netmask etc to it and then bridge it to eth1? like

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address xx.2.xx.68
netmask 255.255.255.xxx
bridge_ports eth1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

I tried setting it up to bridge before and either the kvm's still didnt use the ip i set them to use or the whole networking on the server broke and i had to go into rescue mode.

Thanks for the assistance.

Last edited:
Also is it best to configure the network in the GUI of proxmox for the vmbro & bridge or should it all just be done manually via editing the interface file?

Im having trouble getting the networking to work in the KVM vps's. I can get the openvz vm to work with venet but havent gotten the veth working for kvm.

The last time I tried to setup the bridge i broke the whole servers network lol.

I have a ip block of 64 ip addresses and want to use them for openvz and kvm.

Right now I reset my etc/network/interfaces config is
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address xx.2.xx.66
netmask 255.255.255.xxx
gateway xx.2.xx.65

Now this works for openvz but for kvm i know i have to create a bridge. With the vmbro in the network settings do i have to assign a ip and netmask etc to it and then bridge it to eth1? like

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address xx.2.xx.68
netmask 255.255.255.xxx
bridge_ports eth1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

I tried setting it up to bridge before and either the kvm's still didnt use the ip i set them to use or the whole networking on the server broke and i had to go into rescue mode.

Thanks for the assistance.
Hi,
normaly is bridging easy - if your hoster don't use mac-filter or such things.
Can you tried an network config like this:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
    address 0.0.0.0
    netmask 0.0.0.0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address xx.2.xx.66
    netmask 255.255.255.192
    gateway xx.2.xx.65
    bridge_ports eth1
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!