Starting with Proxmox 2.2

starter5455

Jul 12, 2012
Hello,

I want to start with Proxmox and buy a new computer
Butt I can not find the specs is Proxmox wil work in this computer

This are the specs:

Board
Asus Z9PE D16- Intel Socket LGA2011, Chipset MB C602 http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Server_Workstation/Z9PED16/#specifications

Processor 2 * Intel Xeon E5 -2603
memory Kingston 2 * 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3
Network onboard
Harddisk 2 x WD1002FAEX WD 1TB Black

Can someone tell me of Proxmox 2.2 will work on this computer

thanks

Herman

Hello,

I want to start with Proxmox and buy a new computer
Butt I can not find the specs is Proxmox wil work in this computer

This are the specs:

Board
Asus Z9PE D16- Intel Socket LGA2011, Chipset MB C602 http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Server_Workstation/Z9PED16/#specifications

Processor 2 * Intel Xeon E5 -2603
memory Kingston 2 * 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3
Network onboard
Harddisk 2 x WD1002FAEX WD 1TB Black

Can someone tell me of Proxmox 2.2 will work on this computer

thanks

Herman
Hi,
2*8GB RAM is not enough! I assume you need more DIMMs to use more memmory channel ( I don't know if there a minimum allocation). But for virtualization is RAM very usefull.
Related to the cpu-power I would start with 64GB (min. 32GB).
About disks: think about an hardwareraid (and if you mainly/only use internal storage go for raid 10 with 4 drives - or more).

Udo

I don't think you need 32GB Ram. This can be true for some exchange servers but not true for most of linux servers.
Adding more RAM is no problem you can do it also later. You need a real hardware raid controller and i would say 2 more disks to get a raid10 array.

If you are looking to use this to test proxmox, the spec you ahve provided should be plenty... i have several nodes in my cluster with 16GB RAM, and even some with only 8GB RAM.

Are you planning on using shared storage in the future? (needed for live migration/HA) The onboard LSI raid controller claims support in Linux, many of Dells internal RAID are rebadged LSI and i havent had any issues on my old Dell servers.

thanks for the feedback,
i wil buy the computer but change the memory from 16 to 32 GB.
is it possible to use raid 1 with 2 harddisks

greetings

herman

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!