One of our proxmox servers is dead and I can't access the gui on our other server

greavette

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2012
Oh boy...did I do a stupid thing. Our primary proxmox server #1 is dead and will not boot. I did take backups of my important KVM VM's on our server, but they all live on the server. The drives in this server are serial attached scsi and I have 3 raid arrays in this server...2 raid 1 and one raid 10.

We do have a server #2 with proxmox installed. I had attempted to put both servers in a cluster but for some reason it didn't work. I for a while was able to see both servers in our primary proxmox server, but server #2 was never setup properly in the cluster in that I couldn't see any details for this server on our server #1 gui. I removed Server #2 from the cluster...or so I thought in that it was removed from the Server #1 Gui but I still can't access Server #2 from the gui (webpage).

So I have two questions I'm hoping this community can answer for me:

Does anyone have an idea on how I can retreive the kvm files from this dead servers drives so I can move the kvm files to my server #2?

What can I do to see the proxmox gui webpage again on my Server #2?

Thank you.

We do have an RD1000 tape backup drive...I'm wondering if we were to take a drive out of our dead server and put it into this unit...do you think it would work to view the data off that dead servers drive through the RD1000?

Okay...so I've figured out how to remove my Server #2 from thinking it's in a cluster and I can now access my Server #2 proxmox webpage.

Any ideas on my second problem? Options?

What version of proxmox are you running?

Whats happened to Server #1?

Are Server #1 and Server #2 identical spec?

Is there any chance of fixing Server #1 or putting the disks from server #1 into server #2?

Oh boy...did I do a stupid thing. Our primary proxmox server #1 is dead and will not boot. I did take backups of my important KVM VM's on our server, but they all live on the server. The drives in this server are serial attached scsi and I have 3 raid arrays in this server...2 raid 1 and one raid 10.

We do have a server #2 with proxmox installed. I had attempted to put both servers in a cluster but for some reason it didn't work. I for a while was able to see both servers in our primary proxmox server, but server #2 was never setup properly in the cluster in that I couldn't see any details for this server on our server #1 gui. I removed Server #2 from the cluster...or so I thought in that it was removed from the Server #1 Gui but I still can't access Server #2 from the gui (webpage).

So I have two questions I'm hoping this community can answer for me:

Does anyone have an idea on how I can retreive the kvm files from this dead servers drives so I can move the kvm files to my server #2?

What can I do to see the proxmox gui webpage again on my Server #2?

Thank you.
Hi,
can you boot an live-cd distro like grml and see the disks? (from the raid-volumes)?
Then you can activate the lvm and copy the VM-data to a new node.
The config are in the file /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db* see also here http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/12496-how-to-mount-etc-pve-in-rescue-mode
and here http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/12419-CLARIFIED-Get-rid-of-tar-backup-Why?p=67440#post67440

Udo

update: see also this wiki page: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_Cluster_file_system_(pmxcfs)#Recovery

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Thank you for the response...I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.

Well, it was a wild ride, but we were able to recover all our VM's. We've learned a valuable lesson with regards to ensuring our backups are being backed up away from our host server! The raid arrays on the dead server were fine...it was a dead motheboard. We hooked up the raid from the dead sever to another server and were able to move all our backups to a tape drive and get them back up and running on our second Proxmox server.

I would also like to mention that Proxmox Support from Martin was outstanding during this ordeal. Although the server was dead...and it was a weekend...Martin still took the time to answer my questions. Proxmox support is by and far the best support I've seen. I would encourage everyone to buy support from Proxmox...it is well worth the price.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!