Multiple DNS Servers for OpenVZ guests

jlar310

Jun 27, 2007
It would be nice if the Proxmox Web UI (v2.2) had better (more intuitive?) support for configuring a container with multiple DNS servers. I eventually found out via trial and error that you can enter multiple IP addresses in the "DNS server" field in the web UI. There is nothing in the web UI that suggests that entering multiple addresses in the single field is the right way to go. It is not labeled as such and it is not sized as such. By comparison, the DNS configuration for the Proxmox Host itself offers three separate fields for three DNS servers. So I hope you can understand why the container configuration is very much less than obvious.

The man page for vzctl says to use the "--nameserver" option multiple times to configure multiple DNS servers, so I played around with manually editing the /etc/vz/conf<ID>.conf file, entering multiple NAMESERVER="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" lines. This worked as far as OpenVZ is concerned but yielded inconsistent results in the Proxmox web UI. Proxmox displayed the last NAMESERVER option from the .conf file, but when making changes, saved them to the first NAMESERVER line in the file. Though having multiple NAMESERVER lines does work on the back-end, it seems that the Proxmox way is to have NAMESERVER="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy" which does sync up with the web UI.

OK, I'm done ranting now. Thanks for listening. Even if the web UI isn't changed, perhaps others in my situation will find this post helpful.

If this is already documented somewhere, please provide a link as I was unable to find it.

In general, I find Proxmox VE to be a well polished product. I am very grateful for it. So even though this issue really got under my skin, I give a big "Thank you" to the Proxmox team.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!