Restart All Services Script / Service Status Scripts

drott

Apr 18, 2012
USA
Hello,

Has anyone in the community ever made a restart all services script for Proxmox, a core services restart, or service status script or even a debug script to show pveversion, ifconfig, lock status on the vm, etc and other information that the proxmox team would need right off the bat.

For those of us that don't know all services that are required, or in what start order, or what service may down or not responsive, this might make restoration of functions easier and could make trouble shooting a bit quicker.

If that could be included on the webui that might be nice too. It can be exceptionally dangerous too and I understand that but some of that would really help the people that are in the Hosted situation.

Just from reading many posts on the forum that might help save a lot of extra posts and questions back and forth. This is a great and awesome product and they only can get so many things done at a time and I fully understand that too. This is one of the best moderated forums I have seen. I am willing to help with documentation and read the site to gather tips.

Thanks

It don´t think that this is needed. Instead, if something is not working you should analyses why its not working and not just restarting (which will not help in 99% of the cases). Linux is not like Win95.

Thanks

With windows we all know its the 1-2 times reboot me please each month and then you pray and have the gut wrenching moment will it starts up correctly after updates.

My suggestion/idea was motivated to start a discussion: Is there a better way to get the information needed by to the proxmox team, both on the free forum and commercial forums and are there commonly used functions which can be used to help recover non-responsive systems and or provide diagnostic information? Not all but almost all posts seem to involve a number of questions and responses back and forth as to what version are you running, post the output of pveversion or some other command, you are out of date, run upgrade or run the latest version. Would it help if there was a diagnostic function so that in one shot there is 90 percent of what is needed in a packaged, consistent format that can be parsed by a human or automatically? Might save a lot of posts.

Reason for asking for service status or restart script is based on the number of times I have seen it mentioned this is what you need to do to check cluster status, or quroum, restart a service(s) and or to determine the fact that a vm will not restart after lets say a failed a backup due to what ever be the reason and the person does not know to run the qm unlock v# command to restart the vm.

Discovery is the best policy but discovery and problem recovery can be accelerated. An entity whose product that I use which is fully open source, took two suggestions recently that it might be very helpful if non-sysadmins--read my customers who maintain their own spam trap-- could gain access to query the data contained in /var/log/mail.log so as to determine issues with mail receipt and sending and in addition they also added a feature for the uber admin to directly see what see what is in the mailq. Since they did that, I have had only one call in 6 months. Now I rarely have to shell in to the box and do all sorts of greps and provide written proof as to what happened to some piece of email and prove it was not the fault of the mail server and its a SU problem.

It would be nice to be able to check package status and if there are updates available from within the webui. The product I mentioned above added that features a while back and now its easy to check status of services etc, we are upm, and permissions are correct. I can just as easily shell into the HN and run the aptitude or ps commands for a lot of this. The re On a normal day, I tend to first go to the webiu, then shell in and run the aptitude to make sure I am up to date. If one were prompted via the webui there are needed updates, good go do and we should be all golden.

This is a great product and there is only so much time to get things done. There is not a better team for their responsiveness to the community and this is one of the best communities out there. This responsiveness tells me that commercial support has got to be out of this world.

Thank for your consideration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!