Virtio with newest Fedora 1-52 with Vista64

I have been working with trying to solve some performance issues with windows vista 64 bit. This was a ESXI VM image that I converted to qcow2. I had already been running the E1000 nic driver so just to get the VM back up and running I setup the new VM with the E1000 nic and the drive as sata. While this worked it didn't seem to do the trick. Well I noticed that the fedora project release a new VirtIO driver so I thought I'd try it as I knew the VirtIO driver would work better. After mounting the ISO I was supprised to find that the Vista 64 has no storage drivers. The VirtIO nic made a huge increase in network speed. From 600mbit to 919mbit using Iperf. Inter host transport now reads 10Gbits so thats nice. I tried to use the driver from the R2008 but it cause my system not to boot.

Why do you think that they didn't package the drivers? I would love to get my disk speed up also. Just doing a crude test I can copy from a client computer about 3 times faster to a debian samba mount than the windows and I know its due to not being able to use the VirtIO storage.

Not exactly stellar performance but copying a 800mb folder doing the windows copy paste went from 4ish mb/s to 16mb/s so the virtIO storage driver seems to have worked. I had taken a snap shot so I was able to roll back. The first time install I let windows load the correct driver <--- Mistake. The second time I used the legacy hardware installer from the device manager to install the virtstor driver and I used Redhat VirtIO Controller. It listed two hardware devices using that driver. The other was a passthrough driver and I wasn't sure if I should be using that. Anyways all is much better now. Also HD tune reports an average of 80mb/s during its test with the highest spike at 582mb/s this is using a qcow2 file on a raid 10 software store with 4 x 500GB WD blacks sata 6gb with 32mb cache.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!