Virtio net card magically "disappears" in a Windows VM

alexpacio

Dec 5, 2009
Hi everybody,
i have a server with Proxmox VE 2.2 and a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine with a strange behaviour.
It seems that, randomly, the network card (virtualized through virtio-net and configured in the vm with lastest wirtio-win drivers) can't be detected anymore. So i'm constricted to shutdown the vm and to restart it to solve the problem.

Has anyone ever encountered/solved this strange problem?

thanks

make sure use latest pve package and latest driver for virtio

works here without problems.

On esx. v 4.0 I had a similar problem where the nic was nolonger seen and a some times a reboot or reinstallation would not cure it. It would happen out of the blue on a kvm.

What finally stopped the problem was going into the registry and deleting all instances of any nic card and any static settings that were bound to the instance. Extracted the latest drivers from the tools and replaced them on the disk. Rebooted and let hardware detection work. Same vms are running fine today nearly 3 years later.

One other observed characteristic was the show hidden devices did not show the nics.
I attributed it to windows plug and pray.

One other observed characteristic was the show hidden devices did not show the nics.
I attributed it to windows plug and pray.

have you tried forcing the device manager to show non present devices?

command prompt:

c:\> set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

c:\> devmgmt.msc

show hidden devices

you must load device manager from the command prompt for this to work and it resets after closing the console.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!