Both venet and veth on container?

This has been asked before but not answered, so I need to ask again:
Can a container have both a venet IP address as well as a veth network interface? Or: Do I even need that?​

My setup looks like this:

network.png

vm1 and vm3 should have two ethernet ports, being able to access vm2 and vm4. I was wondering if I could simply assign an IP address (venet) plus a network card connected to a bridge (veth) but this does not work as expected: Proxmox VE 2.2 gives me an error 130 (500) when I try to add a veth device after an IP address has been assigned.

How should I create this? Any help is appreciated. Kind regards,

Christian

I have almost same problem.

Have two internet connections in x.x.1.x and x.x.2.x.

I have two nics on my host which are connected eth0 to range net1 and eth1 to range net2

Both are linked with vmbr0 and vmbr1

Problem is in containers.
When i setup container veth's eth0 to net1 and then eth1 net2 this works about 30min and after that eth0 link not reach to net. Only eth1 works after that.

Have venet's too in same host in other containers

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!