Information regarding setting up a cluster using shared storage.

donkeh

Jan 25, 2013
Hi,

Let me start by saying I have read through this thread which gives some very useful information, but I am still left with some unanswered questions which I hope you can help with.

I have 3 physical machines at the moment, 2 running proxmox 2.2 and one machine running freenas.

I setup the first proxmox host, configured an iscsi target (freenas) and created LVM based on the iscsi target.

I then added created a cluster on the first host and added the second host to this cluster.

This immediately brought the iscsi target and LVM target to the second host also.

I was able to choose migrate on one of the VM's running on node 1, migrate it to node 2 and it was practically instant - due to the storage of the VM on the freenas device.

My outstanding questions are these...

1. I read in the above mentioned thread about problems with 2 nodes connecting to one iscsi/lvm target. Have I done something wrong therefore in what I just did ?

2. I understand the ability to migrate a VM. What happens if I lose node 1, which was running VM1 for example. Can I now bring that online on node2 because it is stored on the network storage?

Thanks,

Leon

a couple of bits of advice ive picked up from reading the forum:

freenas - use something else as loads of people have said there are issues with the iSCSI...

2 nodes - although its supported, its not recommended - use 3 its more reliable for quorum.

Question 1: Nope. thats how my two clusters are configured.

Question 2: Yes. you will need to change some config on the servers but ultimately yes.

a couple of bits of advice ive picked up from reading the forum:

freenas - use something else as loads of people have said there are issues with the iSCSI...

2 nodes - although its supported, its not recommended - use 3 its more reliable for quorum.

Question 1: Nope. thats how my two clusters are configured.

Question 2: Yes. you will need to change some config on the servers but ultimately yes.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have read some people complaining about freenas, but as yet I have not seen any problem with it - do you have any specific details ?

At the moment, I am evaluating proxmox however, and all is in a test environment. Openfiler seems to have been suggested also.

With regards the questions...

1. Good to know the same for you.

2. Again, good to know it is possible - but do you have any links to any further information/documentation about it ?

Thanks,

Leon

2. Again, good to know it is possible - but do you have any links to any further information/documentation about it ?

all i can remember now is that you ahve to change something like pvexpected=1 or something in cluster config file and it allows you read/write access to the cluster information AFAIK all vm info is stored on a replicated file system between all the nodes in a cluster - the only thing that is stored on each server is memory and cpu operation.

Ive never tried it so couldnt give any info on it although i have seen a number of posts about it.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have read some people complaining about freenas, but as yet I have not seen any problem with it - do you have any specific details ?

At the moment, I am evaluating proxmox however, and all is in a test environment. Openfiler seems to have been suggested also.

With regards the questions...

1. Good to know the same for you.

Thanks,

Leon
Hi,
access from different nodes to one lvm isn't a problem with pve - pve use an internal locking.
For iSCSI - perhaps you could also try http://www.openattic.org/ - work without trouble for me on a test-system.
About 2-node-cluster: If one node fail, you lost the quorum an can't activate an VM from the failed node on the running node (/etc/pve is write protected).
After manual get quorum "pvecm expected 1" - see "man pvecm" you can move the VM-config to the running node and start the VM again.

Udo

Thanks Udo,

I have no time to test/play for a couple of days - but will report back.

Leon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!