Storage Setup Help

benaust

Jan 23, 2013
Hi Guys

Got my hand on a server ( Supermicro, IPMI, 16Gig Ram, 2 E5420 Xeon, 3ware Raid Card, 3 by PS ), I tried a lot of stuff to create virtual Environment Platform. like Centos with OpenVZ, VMware Free, anyhow none really worked or I run into problems due to one simple reason, I am not only new to going and setting up VPS, I have no Linux experience and how I got here is just by reading and understanding very little since I have no background, but I like the challenge and like to learn.

Now my problem, either due to lack of Linux or comprehending, anyhow...

I have setup the server with few raids as below;
- Raid Set 1 is ( 2 x 250Gig Raid 1 "Mirror" ) which I selected for installation of PVE
- Raid Set 2 is ( 4 x 750Gig Raid 10 ) so is another to set of raids Raid Set 3 and Raid Set 4

I basically tried to create raids with maximum capacity size of less than 2Tbit, which from my understanding is the limits for Proxmox VE, could be wrong and do appreciate a correction if the case.

After installing ran into a problem using IPMI, had to update the packages for Debian and Proxmox as well as the ATI issue involving "/etc/X11/xorg.conf", anyhow that done and fix now I have storage issue and need also recommendation, sorry to sound so demanding, but have exhausted my resources.

Just because I am a windows user I have basically based my logic in that manor I think by trying to separate system disk from data and appointing different data of in this case virtual environment in different drives "Raid Set".

Therefore I like to have the small Raid 1 for system and use the other 3 raids for data. Have read and done all the pvcreate, vgcreate, lvcreate. When logged in to the Proxmox panel via IPAddresss:8006.
- I try to add directory I get errors for my path
- I add lvm when viewing the storage on the left it is 59.97Gig where it should be 1300Gig.

Well can anyone help and tell me where I am going wrong? I need to create a directory for me to put my Containers there and use one of my Raid Sets for KVM environment like windows or so. Saying all these that are me mimicking what I have learned in the past few weeks and could be totally wrong terms and knowledge, but I am trying and need some directions.

Thanks in advance

Ben

:):D:eek:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!