start/shutdown start at boot dependency settings

davlaw

Renowned Member
Apr 4, 2012
Just an idea, and maybe someone else has incorporated the requirement in some way.

I know with some careful settings on the start/stop delay I might could achieve this but would be nice to have a VM not start till another has started, a required dependency needed before its allow to start. And prevent it from starting till the other required VM/s has started.

From what I can tell with my limited knowledge at least via Proxmox gui this is not possible. Or is it?

Thanks, that document covers setting delays and such... and have used current startup and shutdown options. But it would be nice if VM110 would not start till VM105 is running. Again, I can mess with delays , but VM 110 will start after delay whether or not VM105 has.

Thanks, that document covers setting delays and such... and have used current startup and shutdown options. But it would be nice if VM110 would not start till VM105 is running.

that's exactly what is does. what do you miss?

Maybe starting order will give what I need. I'm going to make an assumption that the start order works across "datacenter" and not individual nodes? And that start order just starts the VM then continues to the next or is the "start delay" the delay before starting the next VM in sequence (I'm taking it as a start after delay just as it says)? Guess I need to work some tests to see what results I get. Not trying to be difficult, just trying to wrap my head around what I can do to prevent some VMs from being started till another is up and ready without assumption.

Last edited:
I'm going to make an assumption that the start order works across "datacenter" and not individual nodes?

The order is always relative to the node you start. There is no ordering between different nodes starting at the same time.

that's exactly what is does. what do you miss?

Hi there, sorry for digging this out, but i see no point in opening a new thread while this one still exists.

as far as i understand it:
-i set vm1 to start first, then wait 2 minutes and then start vm2
-vm2 will start after exactly 2 minutes, even if there was an error or a delay in boot on vm1

which could end in vm2 trying to connect to vm1. but vm1 is not yet online or maybe the DB running on this vm1 is not ready yet

is that correct so far?
Can you think of any way to let proxmox know when vm1 is ready for action and vm2 is allowed to start?

Can you think of any way to let proxmox know when vm1 is ready for action and vm2 is allowed to start?

Hi,

Could be a lot of reasons for a VM to not be "ready", some of them with no relation with PMX itself(like you suggest, your DB could be damage). Because of this, your problem could not be solved by "something woodoo spell" who is built in PMX ;). But for your case monit is what you need:

- all your VM who have a dependency relation, will not be started by PMX(start at boot =no)
- teach your monit daemon to start VMxxx, chech your own dependince tests like: (IF ping VMxxx is OK) and (IF your_DB_daemon is START) and (whatever) THEN start VMyyy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!