[SOLVED] Can't load spl/zfs modules after building against 2.6.32-16-pve headers

F

freelancer42

I'm trying to build the spl/zfs modules, which is working fine with both dkms and building from git (using instructions at http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS). When I try to load them however modprobe says "Invalid module format", and dmesg says "disagrees about version of symbol module_layout". This leads me to believe that I'm building against the wrong headers. Nothing else seems to indicate that I am though... I have a clean install of Proxmox 2.2, uname -r shows 2.6.32-16-pve, and I've installed pve-headers-2.6.32-16-pve. That's also the only kernel headers I have installed.

Is there any difference between the running kernel in Proxmox 2.2 and the headers available in the apt repository? Or am I missing something obvious?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to build the spl/zfs modules, which is working fine with both dkms and building from git (using instructions at http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS). When I try to load them however modprobe says "Invalid module format", and dmesg says "disagrees about version of symbol module_layout". This leads me to believe that I'm building against the wrong headers. Nothing else seems to indicate that I am though... I have a clean install of Proxmox 2.2, uname -r shows 2.6.32-16-pve, and I've installed pve-headers-2.6.32-16-pve. That's also the only kernel headers I have installed.

Is there any difference between the running kernel in Proxmox 2.2 and the headers available in the apt repository? Or am I missing something obvious?
Hi,
the actual kernel for pve 2.2 is 2.6.32-17 - perhaps you should try the same with this kernel and headers...

Udo

Hi,
the actual kernel for pve 2.2 is 2.6.32-17 - perhaps you should try the same with this kernel and headers...

Udo

That's odd... I rebooted the server and yeah, uname -r says 2.6.32-17 now. And everything works just fine. No idea why it was apparently running 2.6.32-16 before, but thanks for nudging me in the right direction!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!