new virtio 0.1-52 Windows drivers available

mmenaz

Renowned Member
Jun 25, 2009
Northern east Italy
Hi, just to let everyone know that new Windows virtio drivers are available from FedoraProject at the usual location:
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/virtio-win-0.1-52.iso
Downloading and reading "status.txt" file seems that there have been these changes since 0.1-49:
experiental:
viostor/vioscsi - some performance improvements.

Fixed bugs:
BZ #759019 - Fix vring_detach_unused_buf function.
BZ #833671 - Fixed memory leaks on device's surprise removal.
also [balloon/vioserial]fix inf version for Win8.

BZ #713130 - further optimization
BZ #8823795 BSOD occurs during transferring data from guest to host during S3/S4.
BZ #883913 - read link status on driver startup.
BZ #878442 - Interrupt handlers refactored, Interrupt timestamping made debug only feature

If someone has good or bad results with them would be great if will report here too :)

Last edited:
Hi, just to let everyone know that new Windows virtio drivers are available from FedoraProject at the usual location:
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/virtio-win-0.1-52.iso
Downloading and reading "status.txt" file seems that there have been these changes since 0.1-49:
experiental:
viostor/vioscsi - some performance improvements.

Fixed bugs:
BZ #759019 - Fix vring_detach_unused_buf function.
BZ #833671 - Fixed memory leaks on device's surprise removal.
also [balloon/vioserial]fix inf version for Win8.

BZ #713130 - further optimization
BZ #8823795 BSOD occurs during transferring data from guest to host during S3/S4.
BZ #883913 - read link status on driver startup.
BZ #878442 - Interrupt handlers refactored, Interrupt timestamping made debug only feature

If someone has good or bad results with them would be great if will report here too :)

Thanks for the info !

some more infos about #bz

Bug 759019 - [virtio-win][serial]Qemu-kvm quit with "Guest move used index from 0 to 256" after hot unplug/plug virtio-serial-port while it is in use
Bug 833671 - [whql][Serial] BSOD with error code "C4" happened in many jobs for serial whql on HCK

Bug 883913 - Boot win7 guest with virtio-net-pci and status=off, virtio NIC still works well inside guest.
Bug 878442 - [virtio-win][netkvm]Refactor drivers to improve performance

Bug 878442 is network speed improvement with small packets :)

Hi all!

Anyone else also experiencing severe problems with the block drivers in this iso and a windows 2003 SBS guest?
I get a BSOD (0x07) as soon as i try to install a block device with this driver. Even after using only IDE again after rebooting, the guest will behave rather unstable then. Then after some time, the guest will only reboot into this same BSOD, impossible to be repaired.
i tried virtio-win-drivers-20120712-1.iso which i found somewhere in the web, and they seem to work very well instead...
Is there an archive of older virtio-win-0.1-xx.iso i could try anywhere?
Thanks in advance
Sascha

Yes i experienced the same issue with the storage drivers and had to revert to the older one.

Hi all!

Anyone else also experiencing severe problems with the block drivers in this iso and a windows 2003 SBS guest?
I get a BSOD (0x07) as soon as i try to install a block device with this driver. Even after using only IDE again after rebooting, the guest will behave rather unstable then. Then after some time, the guest will only reboot into this same BSOD, impossible to be repaired.
i tried virtio-win-drivers-20120712-1.iso which i found somewhere in the web, and they seem to work very well instead...
Is there an archive of older virtio-win-0.1-xx.iso i could try anywhere?
Thanks in advance
Sascha

I had this same issue - had to restore from backup to get a stable machine back. An no - i'm running an older version of proxmox - that i've not had any isses with and want to keep working :D (its production so cant afford any downtime)

Last edited:
Hi!
Yes i have the latest KVM shipped witth Proxmox running:

Code:
pveversion -v
pve-manager: 2.2-32 (pve-manager/2.2/3089a616)
running kernel: 2.6.32-17-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.2-83
pve-kernel-2.6.32-16-pve: 2.6.32-82
pve-kernel-2.6.32-17-pve: 2.6.32-83
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.4-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.93-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.9-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-34
qemu-server: 2.0-72
pve-firmware: 1.0-21
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-41
libpve-access-control: 1.0-25
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-36
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 4.0-1pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.3-10
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

I took the drivers from here:
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/

Sadly, using these, resulted in a mess...
After seeing that the virtio will not work, we switched to IDE again and the guest seemed to work kind of well.
So people began working on that system again.
A day later the whole machine stopped working, and none of the backups with the data having been worked on allready, managed to start.

BSOD oxo7f with every boot. Repairing win2003 with the installation disc, or chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr...or whatever...to no avail.

Sascha

I had this same issue - had to restore from backup to get a stable machine back. An no - i'm running an older version of proxmox - that i've not had any isses with and want to keep working :D (its production so cant afford any downtime)

Same here but with the actual version of proxmox (2.2), new virtio-drivers (0.1-52) and SBS2003 (32-Bit).

Ive had a w2008 r1 VM bluescreen during installation of the 0.1-52 drivers, resulted in a not booting machine. I also went back to the version we used before (0.1-30 - no particular reason for this version)

After reading these answers and finally knowing i am not alone, i can only advise everybody not to use these drivers!
Maybe the last working iso should never be replaced by a newer one, but still be available for some time...

Sascha

I remember that when there ware problems with virtio net drivers, time ago, in a thread an user jumped in claiming he was one of the virtio developers.
I've searched the forum but did not find anymore, if someone does would be great notify him about this issue, or if someone can, send this problem "upstream" to Red Hat or better Fedora.
Virtualization of M$ OS is, unfortunately, a "must", and is needed with good performance and stability. Since day 1, virtio drivers has been a source of a lot of issues that undermines (indirectly) Proxmox a lot

this may be a workaround for you to get older virtio versions until a proper archive is established (by fedora?):

google this: "virtio-win-0.1-30.iso" intitle:"index of"

replace the 30 with the version you want and hope for publically visible FTP servers that still store this version. works for the 30.

I remember that when there ware problems with virtio net drivers, time ago, in a thread an user jumped in claiming he was one of the virtio developers.
I've searched the forum but did not find anymore, if someone does would be great notify him about this issue, or if someone can, send this problem "upstream" to Red Hat or better Fedora.
Virtualization of M$ OS is, unfortunately, a "must", and is needed with good performance and stability. Since day 1, virtio drivers has been a source of a lot of issues that undermines (indirectly) Proxmox a lot

you can send bug to virtio-win dev here :

https://github.com/YanVugenfirer/kvm-guest-drivers-windows/issues

I don't have problem myself with 2003 x64 and win2008R2 x64 with these drivers, so I can't help :(

I do not have problems with these drivers here.

just to add, I run only win2008r2 servers in production, no win2003.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!