Can you setup DRDB later?

Giovanni

Apr 1, 2009
Hi guys

I am coming up on a deadline to migrate to a new facility in another city, already have a proxmox server I am planning to recycle and move to the new facility. However, in the interest of avoiding downtime I am planning to build one new proxmox box at the new location and set it up in such a way that I can later on (a week or so) after all my VMs are migrated to this new box, to use DRDB without downtime.

Is it possible to use DRDB on a single server, then "enable" duplication to the slave box? Theoretically, I am thinking that overnight I can have the boxes sync/migrate data so they are up to date on both servers. Any guides or tips as far as doing this, most importantly can I pull it off?

Thanks

Hi guys

I am coming up on a deadline to migrate to a new facility in another city, already have a proxmox server I am planning to recycle and move to the new facility. However, in the interest of avoiding downtime I am planning to build one new proxmox box at the new location and set it up in such a way that I can later on (a week or so) after all my VMs are migrated to this new box, to use DRDB without downtime.

Is it possible to use DRDB on a single server, then "enable" duplication to the slave box? Theoretically, I am thinking that overnight I can have the boxes sync/migrate data so they are up to date on both servers. Any guides or tips as far as doing this, most importantly can I pull it off?

Thanks
Hi,
you can also use an pre-copy for sync like discribed here:
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/s-using-truck-based-replication.html

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!