File Server setup

michaels0007

Jan 10, 2013
HI

Can someone tell me how to setup a File Server :confused: Do use turnkey fileserver or is there an easier way.

Also can you start from the top, from the install of Proxmox.

HI

Can someone tell me how to setup a File Server :confused: Do use turnkey fileserver or is there an easier way.

Also can you start from the top, from the install of Proxmox.

Hi,
depends on your setup (cluster, storage).
You can choice between openvz and kvm.
With kvm it's like an "normal" fileserver. With openvz you can only use kernel-modules, which you also have loaded on the hosts (the guest use thr kernel of the host).

Easier like an turnkey-fileserver? Buy an NAS.

Udo

If it's only going to be a file server you won't proxmox. I would recommend trying Zentyal community edition as its learning curve is very simple as is its install. Or you could install proxmox and virtualise Zentyal on it.

Posted from my Galaxy S3

+1 for a NAS

Look at Netgear ReadyNAS - ive been using 3 ReadyNAS 2100s for the past year with no issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!