Running a web browser on console

AndyL

Jul 28, 2011
I'd like to be able to make the proxmox server completely self contained.
That is, have the possibility to run only a web browser on the console for configuration monitoring. No other applications and no window manager.
Normally, this would not be used, but for our applications, there may be times where a separate PC would not be available.
Also, a lot of our customers have removed java, so some places have no possibility of connecting.

Now I'm a complete novice here, so please be gentle with me!

I guess I will need an X server, a web browser, java, and some kind of script to start everything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think you're going to have a positive experience trying to implement this. You'd be better off throwing an extra NIC in the server, configuring it with a private address, and connecting a laptop to the server with a cross over cable whenever you want to manage it.

Maybe I can explain a little more to possibly circumvent any further "learn the command line" type replies.

Proxmox _may_ (depending on the success I have in testing) replace the numerous PC's we supply with a industrial control system. These systems are located all around the world, and are inevitably not connected to corporate networks, let alone the internet. The customers are in no way IT literate. I could walk them through a "click on the icon that looks like a TV, then select Open Console" sort of thing in case of some emergency, but taking them through a set of command line functions is not going to work.

If everything can be done from the command line, then why do we have a web interface?

Anyway, what about:

edit /etc/apt/sources.list with nano
edit top line and add non-free at end. Save.
apt-get xorg
apt-get firefox
apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin - accept license.
edit etc/X11/Xsession.d/99x11-common_start
change exec $STARTUP to exec firefox javascript:resizeTo\(screen.width,screen.height\)

?

We have a web interface to make it easier to manage.

Good luck with your efforts, in my experience the proxmox web interface doesn't really work well under linux anyway, ironically.

It's worth noting, that if they can go to the effort of attaching a console to the server, they could just as easily attach a laptop to the ethernet port.

Yeah, I believe I had issues with the jdk at the time. I dislike linux for the desktop anyway, so it was a brief experience. I'm sure you're correct though.

For what it's worth, I installed Iceweasel (Firefox) and Openbox. Openbox does nothing but run Iceweasel on startup. If you run Iceweasel without some window manager, it works, but if you open the java console, you can't switch back to the original window. So all you have to do is log in and run startx. Openbox starts, and auto starts Iceweasel. Works fine.

Only with the assistance of Mr Google and the time and knowledge of the internet community who share their information!

thats why I like the 1.x web interface better. it literally works with ANY browser, including lynx. Its really sad that had to go :/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!