Fence Issues

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
Just setup a new cluster. Having issues with fencing on one node after a reboot. After I reboot node #2 it will come up and try to fence node #1

1358439064 delay post_join_delay 6 quorate_from_last_update 1
1358439070 delay of 6s leaves 1 victims
1358439070 medprox1 not a cluster member after 6 sec post_join_delay
1358439070 fencing node medprox1
1358439090 fence medprox1 dev 0.0 agent fence_ipmilan result: error from agent
1358439090 fence medprox1 failed
1358439093 fencing node medprox1
1358439114 fence medprox1 dev 0.0 agent fence_ipmilan result: error from agent
1358439114 fence medprox1 failed
1358439117 fencing node medprox1

After a few minutes I then get this on node #2.

root@medprox2:~# fence_tool dump
fence_tool: dump: can't communicate with fenced

root@medprox2:~# fence_tool join
fence_tool: can't connect to cman

It seems the only way around this issue is to reboot node #1, then once that is up, reboot node #2 and all is well. If I reboot node #2 this process happens again. I do have FENCE_JOIN="yes" uncommented in /etc/default/redhat-cluster-pve on each node. I have two other nodes in the identical setup without this issue.

Last edited:
you run a two node cluster? if yes, I would be nervous two.

how do you make sure that you do not lose quorum on reboot?

you run a two node cluster? if yes, I would be nervous two.

how do you make sure that you do not lose quorum on reboot?

I have been running 2 node clusters for a bit over a year without any issues. I guess I should look into adding quorum disks to each one of my clusters. Im sure I could use a single node to provide quorum to all 3 clusters? I appreciate the input!

Just setup a cheap server with FreeNAS, and export iscsi targets for each cluster. It will take you 30 minutes from start to finish and give you a much safer cluster environment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!