How to install Sata controller?

spacefighter

Mar 24, 2011
Hi,

I just got a new to me motherboard for my home setup and of course something doesn’t work.
So I have two hard drives,

sata1 - Samsung 1tb Proxmox
sata2 - WD 2tb media server storage pass through

The problem is the WD drive is not recognized in the bios. I have tried everything but a reformat. I am starting to think it’s a controller issue since it works fine on 2 different boards.

My next plan is to get a PCI Sata controller to see if that works, cheaper than a new HD. Although I am not sure how to set it up. Would it get installed to Proxmox then assign the drive. Or PCI pass through to the Windows install? I saw this ( http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/9700-PCI-passthrough-for-SATA-controller ) Would that be the correct way to do it?

Little beyond my Linux knowledge so I thought I would ask before something else broke. :rolleyes:

Hi,

I just got a new to me motherboard for my home setup and of course something doesn’t work.
So I have two hard drives,

sata1 - Samsung 1tb Proxmox
sata2 - WD 2tb media server storage pass through

The problem is the WD drive is not recognized in the bios. I have tried everything but a reformat. I am starting to think it’s a controller issue since it works fine on 2 different boards.

My next plan is to get a PCI Sata controller to see if that works, cheaper than a new HD. Although I am not sure how to set it up. Would it get installed to Proxmox then assign the drive. Or PCI pass through to the Windows install? I saw this ( http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/9700-PCI-passthrough-for-SATA-controller ) Would that be the correct way to do it?

Little beyond my Linux knowledge so I thought I would ask before something else broke. :rolleyes:

Hi,
do you have the actual bios-version on the mb?
In which mode, do you use the sata-drives in the bios (ide, ahci)? Have you tried ahci?
Do you see the disks on linux with "fdisk -l"?

Udo

Thanks udo

I always thought if it was not detected in the bios it wouldn’t work in the OS.
set to ahci with "not detected" in the bios and booted proxmox.
had an "hard drive error press f1" type message
Also gave more errors after proxmox boot menu select. It only flashed for a second then went to the normal loading text.

Getting 80mb/s read with hdtune on the win vm.

Guess its not a complete day unless you have one noob to deal with. :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!