Enable OCFS2 in pve-kernel

P

poralegrias

Hello everyone,

I need help for enable OCFS2 support in pve-kernel.

I'm using Proxmox 2.1 version installed in a custom Debian squeeze, and i'm booted in the kernel pve-kernel. I think that OCFS2 support is not enabled on pve kernel.

I downloaded the git files to compile my own pve-kernel with the ocfs2 support enabled, with the command git clone "git://git.proxmox.com/git/pve-kernel-2.6.32.git", but now i don't know what to do.

Someone can help me, please?

Thankes you and sorry for my horrible english!

Oracle: OCFS2 1.6 is only available with the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel.

So I suggest you use something else.

Thankes you for the reply.

Can you tell me where can i obtain the sources of oracle kernel that proxmox team uses (with all the patches) to compile pve-kernel for 2.1 pve version in tarball format, or any tutorial for "make menuconfig" and compile from oficial proxmox Git files, please?

Thankes you very much again!.

Thankes you for the reply.

Can you tell me where can i obtain the sources of oracle kernel that proxmox team uses (with all the patches) to compile pve-kernel for 2.1 pve version in tarball format, or any tutorial for "make menuconfig" and compile from oficial proxmox Git files, please?

Thankes you very much again!.

we do not use a "oracle" kernel - why do you think so? see https://git.proxmox.com

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry for my bad reference to the kernel.

Yesterday i found the link on some forum post, and i used the "git clone" command with exit. Now i have a folder with the downloaded files for pve-kernel-2.6.32 from git.proxmox.com, but i cannot locate any documentation about how to build the source (i cannot do make menuconfig). Can you help me please?

Thankes you!

Hi Dietmar,

I see the Makefile.

The correct procedure may be: edit the config-2.6.32-042stab055.16.x86_64 file to enable the OCFS2 options, and run make?

I see the makefile applies the patches.

Again, Oracle decide to drop support for any other operating system. So we also decided to drop support for that. Please use something else. I will not answer any further questions about OCSFs here.

I fully understand your decision not to use OCFS2.
Oracle is trying to privatize the Free Software, it's just despicable.
Now, many tutorials advocate OCFS2 as shared FS solution.
We are good sheep ;)
So, what shared File System is natively integrated into the PVE kernel ?

Best regards,
Marc-Henri Pamiseux

As shared file system is normally not required.

Hi dietmar,

I do not want to use the replication mechanism proposed by mysql.
I prefer to use a synchronization mechanism to block level.
Therefore, to use load balancing on two MySQL services on two different nodes, I must have a shared file system.

This is not a single point of failure.
Each node uses its own filesystem, that is replicated by a master to master configuration of DRBD.

Is this a crazy idea?

Best regards,

Marc-Henri Pamiseux

Is this a crazy idea?

Oh yes, presumably :-D
There is no need to use OCFS2.
I made a mistake in the interpretation of a customer need.

What gets me is how to integrate DRBD with the PVE kernel.
Is there a way for DRBD to be integrated natively ?
Should I rebuild the kernel on every update ?
This does not appear to me to be a highly industrialized process.

Best regards,

Marc-Henri Pamiseux

Oh yes, presumably :-D
There is no need to use OCFS2.
I made a mistake in the interpretation of a customer need.

What gets me is how to integrate DRBD with the PVE kernel.
Is there a way for DRBD to be integrated natively ?
Should I rebuild the kernel on every update ?
This does not appear to me to be a highly industrialized process.

Best regards,

Marc-Henri Pamiseux

DRBD in included in the default kernel, the only issue is it has an older, buggy, version of DRBD.
The kernel is provided by the openVZ project which is basically the Red Hat kernel with some openvz patches.
Therefore we must rely on the upstream projects to provide a newer DRBD in the kernel, I have submitted a bug to openvz asking that a newer version is included, so far this has not been addressed.
It is not difficult to compile newer version of DRBD each time the kernel is updated, the directions are in the forum too.

If you need more info related to DRBD please start a new thread because we are now officially off-topic in this thread.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!